×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/WIP PROJECTS AND CRITIQUES

Firefly / Serenity WIP

eye5,276
Thread Activity
loner02Sun, Jul 19
Continuing this on a new thread, as this is getting a bit long already.
loner02Wed, Jul 01
Bridge is out!https://www.renderhub.com/loner02/mal-s-boat-bridgeIt's a way smaller room than cargo bay but quite a bit more complex. The base cargo b
loner02Fri, Jun 26
FIRST LOOK:At the captain's side of the Bridge.Daz render. No postwork.
Luxe MuseTue, Jun 16
Love it Loner. Keep up the good work!
loner02Mon, Jun 15
FIRST LOOK:At the pilot's side of the Bridge. Took a while texturing, had to make sure it looks good enough. ;)Daz render. No postwork.
MacSommeWed, Jun 10
Can't wait to get my into my grubby fingers - as I will have time to actually work with it again in a couple of days.
dirtrider00Tue, Jun 02
Looking good! Not worried about the lighting. I tend to scrap the stock lighting (points, spots, etc.) and add my own based on the scene I'm creating.
loner02Tue, Jun 02
FIRST LOOK:At a (yet) empty Bridge. Still working on texturing the pilot/captain-side instruments and panels.Daz render. No postwork. Except for addin
dirtrider00Tue, May 12
I can see why they would remove it for the movie. Thanks for adding the option to hide it. Kinda simply torn on it... I like things kinda open but at
VulcanStarDrivesTue, May 12
No, I'm not familiar with this sci fi series. I assumed wrongly that the last thing left was the bridge. This is definitely a pretty epic ship all aro
loner02Thu, Apr 10, 2025
Karma: 3,373
In celebration of Serenity movie's 20th anniversary, I'm trying to build my most ambitious project yet.
Planning to release it in parts starting with the bridge/cockpit (hopefully with some interiors also), 'cause I don't think I can complete it in one go.

PS. In the meantime, please come visit my store for some cosplay outfits for G8F/G9.

Forum Image













lukonFri, Apr 11, 2025
Karma: 8,496
Hellz ya. Best of luck on this. Many exterior Fireflys out there. Never seen interiors before.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Fri, Apr 11, 2025
Thanks! Interiors will be a challenge tho I'd have to fill in a lot of blanks, especially since I'll be basing only on screengrabs and pictures and floorplans which doesn't really show 360-degree view.
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Fri, Apr 11, 2025
Ya. And beware the whims of the set designers. I made a model of a space ship used int eh "Space: 1999" TV series, and I encountered several discrepancies between, not only the outside versus inside of the ship, but in the placement of set items inside the ship between camera shots. A bit frustrating.
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Fri, Apr 11, 2025
But I guess this wasn't so much the "whims of the set designers" and more the priorities of the directors.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sat, Apr 12, 2025
Agree on that point. As far as I know, they made sets for shooting scenes, which didn't necessarily "fit" the ship as far as the CG designers were concerned. I know this won't be 100% accurate from the get go, but I hope I can get as close as I possibly can.
ArtbyMelFri, Apr 11, 2025
Karma: 19,928
Damn, one of he best shows Fox ever cancelled. Looking forward to seeing this!
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sun, Apr 13, 2025
I'll try my best!
I've lost count how many times I've rewatched the series. Now I'm watching again just to get this model right.
loner02Tue, Apr 22, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:
I've been following the "official blueprints" as seen in previous post. The exterior proportions seem about right compared to the movie/show. The interiors, not so much.
For instance, I counted about a dozen steps for the walkway between the bridge and mess hall (as per the show), but viewed from the outside, it's more like 20meters. To compensate, I needed to modify stuff, like add more vents and spread the rooms apart.

Still needs a ton of gorram details, but getting there. Next up: the bridge.

Forum ImageForum ImageForum ImageForum Image
lukonTue, Apr 22, 2025
Karma: 8,496
Yessssss. You are rising to the challenge of harmonizing exterior and interior with the least compromise of either.  Cool.
loner02Wed, Apr 30, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:
The blueprint for the bridge seems ok enough compared to the movie, with minor adjustments. There were other challenges though:
- The movie version bridge is way different from the TV version. With only the movie as reference, we get limited scenes for screen grab.
- Since the bridge is a confined space, we don't get camera shots (e.g. wide angle) that give good views/angles of the bridge. I had to stitch scenes together, and even that is incomplete. For the gaps, I had to do some guess work.
- There are tons of little details, like buttons, switches, panels, cables, LEDs, etc. I had to find a balance between level of detail and high poly count. It won't do to go overboard on details but end up with an unusable model unless you have a powerful rig. 

So here's what I have so far, for fine tuning later. I've taken the liberty to rearrange some of the panels, but I'm sure she'll fly just fine.
Next:  The main body

Forum Image

Forum ImageForum ImageForum ImageForum Image
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Sat, May 03, 2025
Looks great so far.

And now I have a question.

Will you be providing images for all those screens? And if so, how? Will you make the images yourself?

I've got space ship control screen images to make for my spaceship model too. So I'm wondering how others do it.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sat, May 03, 2025
I was planning to make some for the screens. If the movie/show has clear enough images, i'd probably just recreate it as a texture. Otherwise, i'd have to invent some images.
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Mon, May 05, 2025
Well, if it it any help to you, I found a bunch of free tech screen elements. They are made by Spiraloso over on DeviantArt: https://www.deviantart.com/spiraloso/gallery/71290720/stock-and-resources

I asked Spiraloso for permission to release my space ship model incorporating their screen art elements. Spiraloso granted me that permission. Perhaps they would also grant you permission. It might depend on whether your Firefly would be offered for free. Spiraloso might have granted me permission only because I plan to offer my model for free. I don't know what their policy would be for paid models.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Mon, May 05, 2025
Thanks! I'll check it out.
loner02Fri, May 16, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:
Worked on the Main Deck, incl the Mess Hall.
While the ship's exterior proportions seem alright (not perfect, but workable), the interior proportions needed adjustments.

The mess hall turned out to be longer (as compared to the movie's), a bit narrower (squeezed on both sides by the shuttle bay), and the ceiling is higher (in order to reach those observation windows). I needed to do some creative changes again in order to match the interior to the exterior. Kinda like fitting a short and stocky body to a tall and slim dress..

Speaking of the shuttle bay, I put it on hold until I had the shuttles figured out. I mean, how exactly did they move back and forth to the shuttles? One scene shows the crew inside the shuttle, the next scene shows them on the catwalk above the cargo bay. And how do the shuttles dock? Is it just an airtight, snug-fit hole for the shuttle to slide in, or are there more intricate docking mechanism? Well, at least for the shuttle doors, to allow the crew to access the shuttles even in space flight.

Next: Mid Deck, Cargo Bay

Forum ImageForum ImageForum ImageForum ImageForum Image
dirtrider00Fri, May 16, 2025
Karma: 24,915
This looks sweet! Not only because its Firefly, but actually having a fully functional spaceship, inside and out would be amazing! Pretty easy to improvise an interior with the larger ships, but some of the mid size ships just don't make sense. No bunks, bathrooms, or mess halls but large control/cockpit areas for a 10+ man crews. Maybe their just making a quick run to the Galaxy Mart? 

Are you planning on rigging the doors, hatches, etc? Regardless, I'm an insta buy once you finish it up and put it in the store!
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Fri, May 16, 2025
Yup, planning on rigging most doors, even the crew quarters' doors. And especially those wing engine/thrusters for some crazy ivan maneuvers.Those that I think would be needed in creating meaningful scenes.

I don't plan on rigging some doors, hatches or storage cabinets though, as I don't even know what's behind them. For example, there's actually a bathroom door at the bridge but it won't be functional.

I've still a long way to go before i can put it up in the store, but thanks!
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Fri, May 16, 2025
Sounds awesome! Can't wait, but will!
loner02Sat, May 31, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:
Midway thru working on the cargo bay, I realized that I needed a placeholder for the shuttles. This would allow me to figure out how the shuttle bay would look like, as well as determine how to connect the shuttles to the cargo bay.

So I took a quick detour to make the shuttle exterior, which wasn't exactly free of challenges.
-  The movie only briefly showed an undocked and flying shuttle. In addition, the interiors were not shown either except for the cockpit and airlock doors. Which meant there isn't much chance of getting a decent screenshot. Of course, I could always get back to the series, which I probably should do.
- The blueprints, while providing multiple views of the shuttle exterior, only gave a top view of interiors. So (I think) they overlooked the fact that the shuttles are lacking in headroom. I'm no mechanical expert, but I'm pretty sure if the wings fold/retract the way it did, it is going to need some space to fold into. And that would take up part of the interior ceiling. The cockpit's fine since the pilot is just sitting down, but for the rest of the shuttle, people should be able to stand up.
- To fix the previous issue, I could (1) raise the dome but the shuttle shape already seems fine when compared to the movie version, or (2) lower the floor nearer to the base but this raised the question of where do we stow the landing gears. I'll deal with this issue later.

Just to clarify, I'm planning to have the wings, landing gears and airlock doors rigged. That's why I needed to figure out a solution to the above issue. Any suggestions?

For now, I have my placeholder. Back to the Cargo Bay.

Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
MeshWorks3dMon, Jun 09, 2025
Karma: 612
This project is progressing nicely. Great attention to detail.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Tue, Jun 10, 2025
Thanks! The challenge is to find that sweet spot where you get plenty of details without going overboard on the poly count.
VulcanStarDrivesMon, Jun 09, 2025
Karma: 13,059
This looks pretty sweet.  Love that you're doing both exterior and interior.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Tue, Jun 10, 2025
Thanks! Few mid-sized ships have as much detailed interiors like the Firefly. I've seen Star Wars several times and I still couldn't figure out the inside of Millennium Falcon.
VulcanStarDrives
Karma: 13,059
Tue, Jun 10, 2025
lol. I've seen that observation crop up a few times, makes me wonder if the Falcon is a Tardis far from home.
loner02Wed, Jun 11, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:
I gotta admit that modeling the Cargo Bay was more fun than I expected, not because it is huge, but because there are plenty of basic geometrical shapes which I found easier to model than irregular shaped ones. That and because the Cargo Bay is one of the three most used scenes/sets in the movie (the other being the bridge and mess hall), which thus gives us plenty of reference stills from different angles. Yet still, it is not one without issues.

- The path from the shuttle to the cargo bay was never shown in the movie or the series. The blueprints had stairs from the main level to midlevel, but is a bit too steep for my taste. So I made a path squeezing its way down to the midlevel. I don't exactly like it as it is a bit long but I'm sticking to it for now. If it's only up to me, I'd rather have a vertical ladder or a fireman's pole, which Inara may not like. I'd recommend she take the path thru the mess hall instead.

I could of course just skip the airlock. I mean, I doubt if anybody would be making interesting scenes inside an airlock. Unfortunately, my OCD behavior won't let me sleep if I do that.

Forum Image

- With that airlock design, I had to modify the cargo bay ceiling a little. Part of it was "eaten" by the airlock, just like part of the mess hall. And while on the ceiling, I thought I'd simplify it a bit. Hope nobody looks up or mind the changes.

- Remember that belly landing in the movie? That implies that the cargo bay is the lowest part of the ship. However, when going from the cargo bay to the lounge, you'd take four steps up a short flight of stairs, go thru that big round thingie they call a gravity amplifier, and down six steps another set of stairs. So the tail section should actually be lower when it comes to floor level. I'll have to deal with this later.

So here's what I have for the cargo bay.
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image

And here's how the doors would look like:
Forum Image
Forum Image

NEXT: Tail section (lounge, infirmary, passenger dorms). Need to figure out that floor level issue.

ArtbyMelWed, Jun 11, 2025
Karma: 19,928
This is lookng pretty good!
loner02Mon, Jun 23, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

The Tail section is arguably the most detail intensive exterior part of the ship, what with all those pipes and conduits and vents. Trouble is, whenever there's a scene showing the tail section, it's either a wide shot of the ship (hence details are small) or the ship is moving or in space (details are blurry or dark). So I had to rely less on screenshots and more on drawings/blueprints and guesswork. I wonder why they didn't just put those conduits inside the chassis to make it less prone to damage in case they encounter an Alliance patrol or reavers.

The other thing about the tail section is that rotating thingie (rotor?) at what I call the waist of the ship. It looks nice watching it rotate slowly as the ship moves, but it eats up the bottom part of the tail, which affects the floor level. I haven't done the interiors yet, and maybe I can raise the floor level, but that won't be consistent with the live action version (as stated in my previous post).
The current workaround (cheat) I have is this: I have two geometries for the rotor - one rotates like that in the movie and a fake one which is fixed but provides enough space for the interiors. For exterior renders, use the default rotor. For interior renders, hide the default and/or use the fake one.

Forum Image

Here are previews for the tail exteriors.

Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image

I figured I have about 4 more steps before I can release the first part (i.e. complete ship exterior):
-  Tail section interior (infirmary, dorms, engine room)
-  Wings section (shuttle and shuttle bay, engines, landing gear)
-  Exterior detailing
-  Exterior texturing and rigging

Still much to do, but getting there.


loner02Thu, Jul 03, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

Thought I'd do a quick update and get this out of the way. It started with my previous post (re: tail section exterior) where I got a little carried away with detailing. Well, it didn't end there.

The Aft Hall or Walkway is normally dimly lit so you'd probably never notice the details they added on the walls. (I still wonder why scifi walls can't be plain simple walls.) I had to crank up the brightness of the screenshots just to see them. A little stretched maybe because this walkway is longer than the movie's, but they're there. 

Now the Engine Room was shown only once in the movie and viewed from the door. So much for trying to get a view from multiple angles. So this one is a mix of the movie version, the tv show version and my own interpretation. Hope Kaylee won't mind the changes I made to her sanctuary. Plus I still need to make sense of that round rotating thingie they call an acceleration core, which looks like a bloody mess of wires and tubes and parts. I'll add those details in later.

Next: Tail section lower deck (lounge/waiting room, infirmary, passenger dorms)

Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Thu, Jul 03, 2025
I haven't commented before, but I have visited a few times. This is by far my favorite thread in the forum. It looks wonderful, and I would love for you to keep sharing your updates.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Fri, Jul 04, 2025
Wow thanks! Appreciate it!
loner02Fri, Jul 04, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

And I ran into a roadblock!

This is regarding the path from the Cargo Bay to the Lounge/Common Area in the tail section. 

First issue is the floor level. As I've shared before, the mid-section belly seems to be the lowest part of the ship and is a bit lower than the tail section. So how come one needs to go up 4 steps and down 6 steps to move from the cargo bay to the tail area? (Note on the pictures below: area enclosed in box shows the tail section that is covered behind the rotor housing.) 
Forum Image

Second issue is still the floor level. The cargo bay is like a box, so it's easy to define the floor. The tail section however is circular, like a top lying on its side, and the floor be like a horizontal plane slicing thru it. In order to get a flat area big enough for the common area + infirmary, that plane needs to be raised higher.
It's just geometry and I can't do anything about it. Think of it like horizontally slicing a ball or a can on its side. If we cut it in the middle, we get the maximum area. If we slice it closer to the bottom, we get less. If we follow the cargo bay floor level, which coincides nearly with the bottom of the tail section, we'd get very little flat area. 
Forum Image

The compromise I'm looking at is to raise the tail floor level. Which means however that instead of stairs going down to the tail section, we'd need stairs going up. A major deviation indeed!
Maybe I'll sleep on it for a while, and maybe I'll dream of a better solution. Any suggestions are welcome!


loner02Sat, Jul 12, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

[Serenity movie scene]: Mal moves toward the stern, passing thru the Mess hall and aft hallway, to reach the Engine room and talk to Kaylee. Going back, he meets Simon and they move ONE level down to the Infirmary where he gets his shots. Afterwards, they move out to the Cargo bay, which is supposedly below the Mess hall but is TWO levels high. So where'd the Mess hall go?

Blame movie magic! We know production builds multiple movie sets to shoot scenes, then they stitch them up in film to make it look continuous. Well, it's obvious here that the stairs should be two levels high and it's quite easy to do the modifications. In fact, that's the easy part.

The Passenger dorms is a different matter. The movie only shows the dorms in passing (and never the insides of the rooms), so I thought of using the TV version instead. In both cases, we have two corridors at a certain angle with respect to each other and (I assume) rooms on each side of the corridor.
Forum Image

This is where it gets complicated. Remember the shape of the tail which is curved and tapered towards the rear? So how would we arrange the rooms as it was in the show?

Let's do the math. The tail at its widest would be about 16m (53') and that's at the center axis. It gets narrower as we move to the rear and near the bottom. A room would be at least 2m (6.6') long to fit a bed. So if we simply line up two 1.5m (5') wide corridors and four rooms (one on each side of the corridors), we'd need 11m (36').  Now spread those corridors so as to form a 'V'. The blueprints have it at a conservative 20-degree angle between the corridors, but looks more like 60 to 90 degrees from the show. I tried a 40-degree compromise and it's a bit tight.
Forum Image

So for now, here's what I plan to do:
-  Prioritize three rooms: River's (1), Simon's (2) and Book's (3)
-  I'll add the rooms without issues, e.g. if it won't intersect with other rooms or the tail walls
-  The rest would be just dummy rooms, i.e. doors won't open or there's no actual room behind it.

Note: I know that rendering interior scenes won't require the exterior at all. So why am I hellbent on trying to fit the interior with the exterior? Simple answer - I want to build a semi-believable sci-fi ship, not a magical Harry Potter tent.   



lukon
Karma: 8,496
Sat, Jul 12, 2025
Yessss. And the challenge you have set up for yourself is such fun! Given set designs optimized for film production, integrate them for complete topology.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sun, Jul 13, 2025
Yah, challenge indeed! I could've chosen the easy way (of not making things fit together), but then again, i aim to misbehave.
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Mon, Jul 14, 2025
I totally support your misbehavior.
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Mon, Jul 14, 2025
And if anyone still fancies a bit of Harry Potter tent/tardis spacial warping, they can have it behind those doors that don't open, for the rooms there's no space for.
loner02Sat, Aug 02, 2025
Karma: 3,373
Ok, time for another UPDATE.

Major changes were implemented on the lower deck of tail section due to the issues from previous posts:
-  Raised flooring: to get enough real estate. Which makes common area floor lever higher that cargo bay's, and hence stairs should be going downwards.
- Two-level stairs from Aftdeck Hall to lower deck.
-  Less spread out passenger dorms and smaller rooms. Except for Book's, Simon's and River's rooms, all other rooms are empty, and some even have no actual room behind the doors.

Forum Image

Because of these changes, and the limited showing of these areas from the movie, these may look a bit different. The main elements are still there, but a bit different.

Common/Waiting Area: 
Forum ImageForum Image

Passenger Dorms: These were mostly from the series, as the rooms were never shown in the movie.
Forum ImageForum ImageForum ImageForum Image

Infirmary:  Also taken from the series, mostly from the Pilot episode, except for the chair. I still have to add those medical instruments and stuff, but for one that just hired their resident medic, they sure do have lots of medical equipment ready. Hmmm.
Forum Image
 Forum Image

Next up: Wing section, including shuttles and landing gear

Bobb
Karma: 1,843
Sun, Aug 03, 2025
This is spectacular! Are you in contact with any fan groups? I'll bet they'd be a HUGE help with screenshots and general knowledge. They might even be in contact with someone from the original production who could help.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sun, Aug 03, 2025
No, not really. Aside from screengrabs, i do look at other people's work, such as 3d models or 2d illustrations from fan pages. I'll be posting a list of my references one of these days.
DarkGriffinWed, Aug 13, 2025
Karma: 106
This is awesome! I am amazed at how detailed this is and can't wait till it's finished and available for purchase!
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Thu, Aug 14, 2025
Thanks so much. I am getting impatient myself coz my pace is a bit slower than i like.
DarkGriffin
Karma: 106
Sat, Aug 16, 2025
Well It looks awesome! Better to be slow and create quality work that you can be proud of, than to just quickly create crap. What you're creating looks like it's far from crap, so keep up the good work, we'll wait! (and we'll try to be patient about it , lol)
ArtbyMelFri, Aug 15, 2025
Karma: 19,928
Wow!!! You've made so much progress! It looks great too! Can't wait to see the final ship model!!
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sat, Aug 16, 2025
Thanks! A little more patience and we'll get there!
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Sat, Aug 16, 2025
You're doing a wonderful job Loner! Keep it up, and make sure you ask a good price for all your hard work. One she's out, she will be mine
DarkGriffinThu, Sep 11, 2025
Karma: 106
How's it going? any new developments?

loner02
Karma: 3,373
Fri, Sep 12, 2025
Haha! Just when I was about to post a new update. Took a while, but I think it's worth it.
loner02Fri, Sep 12, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

I've been working on the shuttles, which only appeared in the movie undocked/flying, along with some scenes of its interiors, for a total of about 10 seconds. Great!

So I followed its size and shape from the blueprints, which look just fine relative to main ship. But when compared to people scale, it looks small. The screen grab from Miranda makes me wonder how they can get people in there. (Take special note of the size of the hatch and the cockpit.) But I thought maybe it's just parallax. So I took another screen shot, the one from the docks, added a perspective-corrected overlay of the shuttle, and still turns out, as Inara puts it, "small-ish".
Forum Image

The interior shots show a much taller hatch, a higher ceiling, and a wider and flatter cockpit with shorter windows. So either the interiors are really larger than the exterior, or they have the tech to shrink people down to hobbit size.
Forum Image

After much debate with myself, I decided to keep to my original objective of fitting the interiors, resulting in significant changes, including uneven floor and walls. Well, everything fits except for the cargo area ceiling, which I had to raise because I needed the characters to be able to at least stand. Hence for the shuttle, it won't do to load both exterior and interior at the same time. Anyway, you don't really need to load both to render either one.

Exterior: Follows the blueprint's size and shape, with details from the series. Added landing gears (posable and can be hidden), which are never shown on the film/series, but I think is needed to support the nose. The wings are retractable, and the hatch can be opened/closed. Shuttle exterior detailing is practically finished, and is ready for texturing.
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image

Interior of Shuttle #1 (aka Inara's shuttle): 
Cockpit: I think the set designers got a little lazy here, especially for the dashboard. After all, it's got a screen time of less than 5 seconds. Still, I followed the movie version (with modifications to fit it inside the shuttle), but I think the series version is better. So I might add elements from the series later.
Forum Image
Forum Image

Cargo Area: This has to be the most elaborately decorated room in the entire ship, and its polycount is getting a bit higher than I'd like. Now, I'm all for HD models, especially for main or foreground objects, but I find it overkill for background objects which may just be obscured or blurred with DoF. So I deliberately toned down the object details (e.g. folds/pleats on the drapes) in order to reduce polycount. This should be fun (or nightmare) texturing though.
 Forum Image


Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image

Interior of Shuttle #2:
I haven't really started on Shuttle #2, but it's just a barebones Shuttle #1
-  they should share similar cockpit
-  take down all the drapes and decors; remove the bed and couch
-  replace with some  crates, props and junk.
-  et voilà, instant Shuttle #2

Now, time for that long overdue Wing section!

novelostoriesWed, Oct 08, 2025
Karma: 235
The spaceship is beautiful; I cannot deny that. But for me, man, the interior is rock solid! I love all the details you are adding to the space, enough to build a story as the crew flies through the galaxy. I cannot wait for you to release this, man. I will buy it on the first day!
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Thu, Oct 09, 2025
Thanks!
I'm finalizing the exterior mesh now, so an update should be out in a few days. After that, rigging and texturing, and hopefully, release of the ship exterior. I can not release all (exterior and interior) in one go though, so the interiors will have to wait a little bit longer.
loner02Tue, Oct 14, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

I was finally able to work on the Wing section, which includes the wing engines, the shuttle bay, and landing gear. Not much issues encountered, except for the landing gear. Somehow, I can't for the life of me figure out how to fit the landing gears inside the Housing without eating up part of the Cargo Bay. Looking at screen grabs from the movie, I'm not sure if it'll even fit.

Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image

Anyway, here's the completed mesh for the ship exterior (mostly untextured):
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image

And some profile views, showing various model details:
Forum Image
Forum Image
Forum Image

At this level of detail, I'm currently running at almost 255K vertices. I don't know if that's going to be an issue later on (e.g. for load and render times), but if it is, I might consider including a lower-poly lite version, sacrificing the small details but suitable for non-close up renders.

NEXT: Rigging and texturing, and hopefully, release. Just allow me a little time for coffee break.

deathdTue, Oct 14, 2025
Karma: 1,663
Wow, that is one hell of a complex model you got going there. I just imagined rigging this thing in daz studio and my eye started twitching. I hope rigging in blender is a lot easier, though I imagine it is. Just the ease of the viewport navigation in blender would make it easier. I have only really done modeling in blender, and UV mapping. Never really dove into blender rigging and such things yet. 
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Wed, Oct 15, 2025
I was thinking of rigging in daz, because I do not want to run into import troubles if ever. But now that you mention it, maybe I'll try rigging it in blender first.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sat, Oct 18, 2025
Just FYI. Unable to import armature and weight maps from blender to daz with satisfactory results. So I'm rigging directly from daz instead. To precisely position the bones however, I'm using coordinates obtained from blender. Much better than simply eyeballing bone positions in daz. .
deathd
Karma: 1,663
Sat, Oct 18, 2025
Oh, I never thought of even trying that before. The coords are translating between the programs well?
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sun, Oct 19, 2025
Depending on how you set up your programs, you'd have to take into account both the units and axis rotation. My blender has meters for units while daz has cm, so need to multiply by. 100. And i had to exchange y and z coords.
loner02Tue, Nov 11, 2025
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

Apologies for the short and delayed update. Was feeling a little bit under the weather lately.

Anyways, here she is in Daz, all rigged up and awaiting a paint job. Hope I get the textures right.
I'm using DS 4.20+. Should I target Daz2025? Heard there're some differences, like rendered image might not look the same, maybe too light or shiny or something. Is this correct?

Forum Image

I've decided to split it into multiple objects (including the 2 parented shuttles). Don't know if it helps in loading in Daz, but I figured, if I do encounter issues with loading the whole shebang, at least I'd have the option to load it in bite-sized chunks.
ERC actions include:
- Wing engine pivot
- Cargo doors open
- Bomb bay doors open
- Shuttle launch position
- Shuttle airlock/hatch open
- Shuttle wings unfold
- Main/Shuttle landing gears deploy/stow
- Gravity rotor rotate
- Reactor vents open/close

Forum Image

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go grab my paintbrush and start painting.
ArtbyMelWed, Nov 12, 2025
Karma: 19,928
Wow!! Can't wait to see it completed, you're doing a fantstic job! 
TenserknotWed, Nov 12, 2025
Karma: 10,747
Great details and attention to accuracy in the modelling.  Very impressive work.  
loner02Tue, Nov 18, 2025
Karma: 3,373
loner02Wed, Nov 26, 2025
Karma: 3,373
loner02Thu, Dec 04, 2025
Karma: 3,373
loner02Thu, Dec 11, 2025
Karma: 3,373
She's out!
https://www.renderhub.com/loner02/mal-s-boat

Maybe I can get my holiday break now.
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Fri, Dec 12, 2025
Right for Christmas! OMG, you are Renderhub's new Santa, Loner!

Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Fri, Dec 12, 2025
In my cart, next paycheck, she's mine!
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Fri, Dec 12, 2025
Congrats! Just finished my first render with her and she's absolutely beautiful!
tam2000k2Thu, Jan 22
Karma: 311
Are the interiors included with the model of mal-s-boat?
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Fri, Jan 23
No, they'll be available as a separate addon. Some will be available as free addon, some at a minimal cost. These are currently WIPs, Gonna push myself to release one addon every month (fingers crossed).
tam2000k2
Karma: 311
Sun, Jan 25
Excellent and thank you so much
tam2000k2
Karma: 311
Tue, Jan 27
please feel free to message me when they are available and thanks in advance
loner02Mon, Jan 26
Karma: 3,373
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Mon, Jan 26
Loner, please, the interior. She is mine now, by the way. But I can't wait to render shots from inside Serenity!
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Mon, Jan 26
Stop teasing us and get to work
loner02Sun, Feb 01
Karma: 3,373
Cargo Bay is out!
https://www.renderhub.com/loner02/mal-s-boat-cargo-bay

This is an early release package, for those who can not wait. Looking at you, Luxe Muse.
Anyways, the package will be updated to include the missing props as soon as they're available.
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Sun, Feb 01
Thank you

Now go back to work, and give us more, please
loner02Sun, Feb 01
Karma: 3,373
I know, I've lots of crates to add.
I'm trying to make it as close as possible to the movie. But can anybody tell me what those encircled things are?

Forum Image
MacSomme
Karma: 6,378
Mon, Feb 02
what those encircled things are
Looks like some handcart, though the white tubes could be either freight (though too unwieldy for luminations) or some device to attach containers to the cart.

I will have to rewatch the show to see any use of them - or are these the only images?

Will be playing around with the bay this evening.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Mon, Feb 02
I don't remember them being used at all. They're just sitting there. That's why I don't know what they are.

Could be a cart, yes, but as to how exactly they are used as one, I've no idea. Like how do you attach/carry a container with it? I might be overthinking it, but it helps to make it look realistic.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Mon, Feb 02
Possibly a portable fire extinguisher? Kinda looks like cylinders in a cart. Would kinda make sense seeing its a cargo hold area.
DareshiranuSun, Feb 01
Karma: 2,982
I know this is more than a bit late, but I thought I'd comment on your airlocks to the shuttles issue, if it's still an issue. 

It seems to me that an airlock is an unnecessary addition when you consider the purpose of the connection. The shuttle is designed to travel from the ship to a planet or to an orbital, so it doesn't need an airlock, just a hatch. The same applies to the Firefly, as those ports aren't for EVA, but only for access to shuttles when they're docked. There would be hardware/software to ensure a positive lock/seal and minimal gap between the two doors, which would be, essentially, a mini airlock only to account for the small amount of vacuum that was present at docking/undocking - you'd have to pump air in or out to make or break the seal so to speak. When you consider that the back of the cargo hold is one big hatch, it all makes sense. 

IIRC, they EVA via a smaller actual airlock elsewhere in the ship in the one episode that they had to go outside in for some reason, though it could have happened more than once. 
loner02Mon, Feb 02
Karma: 3,373
@Dareshiranu
Thanks for your comment.
I agree with you that's it should only be a small air-sealed gap between the double doors (shuttle hatch and ship hatch). In fact, that's what happened on the series (episode: Out of Gas).
Forum Image
The thing is, the ship docking bay (and thus the shuttle hatch) does not line up with the catwalk hatch. The wings would be at the level of the cargo hold if such is the case. So there has to be a path (airlock or not) from the catwalk hatch up to the shuttle hatch. Way too different from what is shown from the picture above.
loner02Tue, Feb 10
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

The challenge in making the cargo bay props look right is due to the following:
- as background objects, they don't get plenty of screen time (hence, no decent reference images)
- most are obscured behind other objects
- some are placed in dark corners or dim lighting, so it's difficult to get the details
- props arrangement varies with the scene; so a crate can be in one position in one scene, and in another position in another
- many look like luggage of various shapes and sizes, but there are also unique items

Forum Image

So anyway, after adding my own interpretation and filling in plenty of blanks, here's what I have for the starboard-side props. I haven't started with the port-side props yet, but I think they a bit more challenging.
Forum Image
Forum Image

Btw, seeing that the cargo props are taking more time than I expected, I'm putting the flying mule on backburner, so I can continue working on the rest of the ship after this.

loner02Tue, Feb 24
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

First, apologies for another delay. Had to take care of some personal matters that demanded my immediate attention.

Anyways, here are the port-side props. If you notice that some look similar to the props on the other side, well, they do. It would seem that movie set designers reuse/reposition the props depending on what camera angles the scenes require, so as to make it look like they have more cargo than what is actually on the floor. Plus, a lot look like regular luggage, not very scifi-y (except perhaps for one). If you prefer a more futuristic cargo like that of Enterprise or Rocinante, please feel free to replace them with your own props, but I'm not sure if it'd fit Serenity's rag-tag look. 

Forum ImageForum Image 
I'll just import them into Daz, texture them, then they'll be ready for release.
3DSagaTue, Feb 24
Karma: 3,771
The creation of this incredible model has been a journey - thanks for allowing us to come along!

I'm pretty sure I recognize the contraption in the left screen capture. In my career as an aircraft maintenance technician working on "heavy metal", we used similar carts to provide lighting to the undersides of aircraft. Our carts were similar except instead of 2 light tubes, ours had 6 or 8.  They had thick, heavy duty all weather chords for power, and we would wrap them around the frame just as in your image.    They also had a similar cage around the tubes. Aside from the number of tubes (hey, in the future things are far more efficient, right?),  our lights were angled up slightly. 
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Wed, Feb 25
Wow! Thanks for the "enlightenment", makes sense.

Btw, what do you call these carts? Light carts? I was content with calling it "thingie", but maybe you have a better name for it.
3DSaga
Karma: 3,771
Wed, Feb 25
We just called them "light carts".
loner02Wed, Mar 04
Karma: 3,373
Cargo Bay has been updated!
https://www.renderhub.com/loner02/mal-s-boat-cargo-bay .

If you've purchased before, please redownload the package.
And as usual, if there are bugs, missing items, etc., please inform me so I could fix it asap.
Thanks and enjoy!

Next: Bridge or Mess Hall, I'm still deciding which.

DrucWed, Mar 04
Karma: 241
Wow. I just found this less than 24 hours ago, looking at your Cosplay stuff. Huge fan of the show. Have the TV series DVD's and the Movie. it turned out last night was payday so I bought the Cargo hold as a test. Lots of missing textures, but I expected that as they are in the Exterior package, It was more to check the light and will it render "out of the box" as they say and we are partway through the first render and it's looking good. No extra lighting or anything required so Space Cowboys and cowgirls, let's go play.
DrucWed, Mar 04
Karma: 241
I just bought the main exterior and the light in the first render was coming through the cargo door way. With the  hull there, the illumination is less, but more realistic.
What space image did you use for the external promo images?

loner02
Karma: 3,373
Wed, Mar 04
Those are just random space images found thru a web search, not HDRIs. Just added a few standard spotlights and distant lighting.
DrucWed, Mar 04
Karma: 241
Moving forward and I'll looking forward to more interiors. As humble suggestion would be some "go to" poses so a simple click gets the character to the correct area within the ship with their feet on the floor as a starting point for posing.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Wed, Mar 04
That's a great suggestion! I'll add it on the next update. Thanks.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Wed, Mar 04
While we're at it, let's add some sample camera as well.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Wed, Mar 04
Updated!
DrucFri, Mar 06
Karma: 241
Wonderful, I just got back and say the cargo hold was updated. 
loner02Sat, Mar 14
Karma: 3,373
Sorry, may be OOT.
To Firefly fans, what's with the recent socmed buzz on Firefly? Just a little concerned if this will make my project more significant or more obsolete. Anyone who can shed light on the matter?

Anyways, Bridge detailing is ongoing. So many panels and gizmos and switches, most of which have no identifiable functions. But since they're there in the first place, got to make sure they are there, or else the ship may crash, again... 
ElaDarling
Admin: 4,269
Mon, Mar 16
Holy crap this is an awesome project. As to your question, if you haven't heard already, Firefly might be returning as an animated show*. The remaining cast is on board, they have show runners, and Joss isn't involved but has "given his blessing.".

*https://www.engadget.com/entertainment/tv-movies/firefly-is-getting-rebooted-as-an-animated-series-120604649.html
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Mon, Mar 16
Thanks!

And the reboot is awesome news!

On the other hand, maybe i have to speed things up a little bit, before they send me a cease and desist order.
loner02Sun, Mar 22
Karma: 3,373
REQUEST for suggestions/assistance:

While doing detailing on the Bridge, I found the need to have better images for the bridge console/monitors. I only have DVD quality screenshots, such as below, and hi-res images would make better textures, especially for close-up renders.
- Anybody know where I can find hi-res images for these screens, maybe from a UHD source? Or maybe you have better screenshots and willing to share?
- If not, I'm looking at AI image enhancer, which I know there are plenty, but I'm not that well versed in AI tools. So can anybody suggest a good tool? Just an enhancer, not a generator, as I'd like as much as possible to remain true to the actual screens.

Forum Image


loner02
Karma: 3,373
Thu, Mar 26
Well, needless to say, i can get the major screens from the blueprints, but those small monitors, they are a bit blurred just getting them from screenshots of the movie. May need a lil bit of enhancement.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Fri, Mar 27
Honestly, I'd go semi generic on things like the screens. unless the screens have there own texture map. I'm more into story telling and having fixed image maps that don't make sense to the story can be a real hassle. For instance, the images in the bottom left square, having explosions and one that looks like Jane outside the ship can break the immersion if the scene your creating is set in deep space or such.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Fri, Mar 27
Ok, bad example, maybe not the screenshot I was looking for. But still, I can get the images for Miranda or ship diagnostics on the bigger screens, but those small screens are a bit too blurry, like the screens near the hatches. Unless I just invent ‘em.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Fri, Mar 27
You could invent for the screens that your not sure about. Like the 4 small ones, maybe do renders from different parts of the ship like there monitoring those areas on the ship.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sat, Mar 28
Good idea! Like having cctv monitors. Problem is, i still don't have the rest of the ship.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Sat, Mar 28
I noticed you have a lot of material zones looking through the surface tabs of the Firefly. I don't know the first thing about modeling and texturing but if the screens have their own material zone you could fudge it for now and add something better later or us users could add our own rendered images to them once its released. I do that with tv's and computer monitors all the time.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sat, Mar 28
Was thinking something similar. The monitors seem to be touchscreens, tho the crew rarely touch them except for those that control the hatches/doors. Looking at some of the screens, there are menus or maybe keypads. So what i was thinking is to add those menus/keypad as the base image on top of a generic plain or customizable background. Users can then add their own custom image via LIE.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sat, Mar 28
Btw, thanks for the inputs. Appreciate it. All suggestions and critiques are very much welcome.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Sun, Mar 29
Glad you figured out the monitor/screen situation. I really like the touch screen idea and still being able to insert your own images into the screens. Only real advice I can give is from the users perspective, and mines still probably different than most because I'm more story focused than artistic.
dirtrider00Sun, Mar 29
Karma: 24,915
Not on you, but my only real design problem with the Firefly is not having a useable ramp when using the landing gear. It just doesn't make sense.

Forum Image

Just used a plane and metal grill shader and threw a g8 character in for reference. 
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sun, Mar 29
Oh, you have to put the ship in 'loading position'. This bends the landing gears further than its normal deployment. Then manually lower the ship depending on your terrain. I believe this is also shown in one of the preview images.

I'm not on my workstation now, so when i return, i can get some screenshots and give you specific instructions for this.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Sun, Mar 29
Yeah, I feel stupid now. I totally missed the erc dials in the lower hull. Played around with them and everything lined up fine. I'd originally checked the ship but forgot to check the hull and had been opening things manually.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sun, Mar 29
Hehe, happens even to the best of us.
Also, the 'legs' are individually adjustable via their associated bones. So with a little tweaking, you can land her on an uneven terrain.
loner02Tue, Mar 31
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

Thought i need to make a quick update.

The Bridge is crazy detailed! With so many switches, buttons, wires, leds, monitors, etc., I'm not even halfway done.
I could perhaps cheat on the details by using textures and bump/normal maps (a technique used by game developers for background objects), but no way that would pass closeup scrutiny. In fact, some of the objects (e.g. console and dashboard) require "real geometry" to be realistic.
Forum Image

Which lead me to my other concern: texture for the console screens. I did a little experiment, using actual screenshots from the movie as textures, even though they're a bit blurry. For normal scenes, I think it's workable for the smaller screens, unless you set focus specifically on the screens. For the bigger screens, I can derive the textures from the blueprints.

Image below shows a Blender render (mostly untextured and in low light to show screen emissives) and wireframe of the Bridge.
Forum Image

Now, i've to go rush the rest of the Bridge.  
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Wed, Apr 01
Those pesky screens again.

Looks awesome by the way! Sounds like you have already made up your mind on the side of detail. Its such a small space so definitely the way to go!

I know the ship I have been using, while it looks good from the outside, the interior was kinda weak. Just no life built into it and the textures were pretty low res. Ended up having to buy a separate bridge type environment for it. It worked but still felt mismatched.

Anyways, no rush, etc, etc, but I can't wait for the full finished product! "Your" Firefly is truly amazing!
WouldheThu, Apr 02
Karma: 2,988
Just re-watched the movie & series.

I wonder why you're trying to fit the interiors into the model.  Wouldn't it be easier to create a set of separate interior sets (after all, that's how filming happens)?.  It would make a lot easier for purchasers also - trying to position cameras and characters inside the body of the main model can be a lot of effort when going for an interior image.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Thu, Apr 02
It is easier! In fact, someone already did it, don't know if it was released though and for what platform.

I'm trying to make a semi-believable walkable ship. So i had to make sure that the interiors, well, fit inside. At the expense though of movie accuracy.

As for positioning, i have go-to poses and sample cameras as starting point for the interiors. It's also easy to move the interior around, as someone pointed out as 'bringing the scene to your characters'. Perhaps, i can also add a 'zeroed' position for the interior set, bringing the interior to a default origin position.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Thu, Apr 02
If you're having problems with the smaller rooms and camera positioning and such, you could try using the iray section plane node. Its amazing for small rooms without having to sacrifice camera angle, perspective camera settings, or lighting. Here's a link to one of my gallery images I did when I discovered it and it has a link to the forum post where I learned about it.

https://www.renderhub.com/gallery/44661/iray-section-plane
Wouldhe
Karma: 2,988
Thu, Apr 02
The model does look really good and totally get why fitting everything inside if more satisfying . That said I've bought a number of models because they had cool looking interiors but haven't really taken advantage because setting up the interior "shot" is painful. If I do something with characters in a cockpit, for example, the exterior doesn't matter (for me). The cameras and poses provided for Daz make make this a non-issue for the vast majority of buyers but still a lot of extra effort to provide all that.

@dirtrider00, I don't render in Daz for a few reason (mostly old dog / new tricks ) , thanks for the advice all the same.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Thu, Apr 02
Same thing here, the interiors don't really require the ship exterior, unless you're looking into the ship from the outside (thru the cargo bay or bridge windshield). You can just load the parts you need, and they'd be in the right place relative to each other

I try to provide as much convenience to users as i can, like ERC, scripts, sample poses and camera, etc. We all have our own preferences though and sadly i cannot satisfy them all. I'm just a lowly hobbyist.
Wouldhe
Karma: 2,988
Thu, Apr 02
Way more than lowly hobbyist
loner02Mon, Apr 13
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

Halfway thru detailing, pilot side done, captain's side next.
I may have overcooked it a bit though, it's running mid to high-poly. I just want to make sure it'll look good/realistic even for closeup renders (but maybe not for extreme closeups). I may have to split the bridge into multiple objects just to be safe.
Forum Image

As for those pesky screens, I think they're coming along just fine. As stated in an earlier post, I'm going to make the 'big screens' user-customizable, i.e. we can choose which preset image to post on which display, and even use a custom image.
Forum Image

All the pilot-side needs now are Wash's dinosaur toys.


dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Mon, Apr 13
Looks awesome!

Better overcooked than undercooked.

Please make the dinosaur toys hideable/deleteable !
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Mon, Apr 13
Yup!

I'm thinking of splitting the Bridge into 4 objects/groups: the base structure, pilot side, captain side and optional objects (dino toys, crates, other props). Each one should be independently hideable/deletable. The base structure should also have hideable 'walls'.
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Mon, Apr 13
Love it, Loner! One thought, though. Perhaps, if possible, don't bake the display interfaces so they are easier to swap with different graphics across multiple shots. Just an idea.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Tue, Apr 14
For the smaller minor screens, such as sensor screens or hatch control, as I only have a single textures for them, they'll have baked textures. They look like abstract graphics, so hopefully they won't be the focus of the render.

As for the bigger screens (I counted about 10 of them, three on the pilot side as shown above), they'll have compatible texture maps, so you can interchange/swap textures among them. I'll even provide the UV map for them, so you can make your own display screens.

So for example, on the image above, the overhead screens show a stellar map and system status screens. You can swap them, turn them off/blank, replace one with "Inara calling" screen, use your own image with a "touchscreen menu" via LIE, etc.
loner02Fri, May 08
Karma: 3,373
UPDATE:

IMHO, modeling modern and sleek bridge, such as that of the Enterprise, seem a tad easier than Serenity's. No loose wires. No mismatch instruments slapped together for no apparent reason. No panels that looked diy'd by Wash or Kaylee. But then again, such is the charm of Serenity. She's not a ship that you blow up to smithereens when the situation calls for it. Rusty and dusty she may be, she's home!

So I beg forgiveness from y'all if I simplify the bridge a little here and there, just to keep stuff manageable. I'm quite certain I won't be able to finish if I let my OCD complete all those nitty-gritty details.

Forum Image 
After the captain's side of the bridge (shown above), I'll be finalizing some of the remaining details. Then it's off the Daz, finally!



dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Fri, May 08
Looks Amazing! Still loving all the detail your putting into this project.

Don't be to hard on yourself! As far as I'm concerned, what you make is the real Firefly! Your the ship builder!

Its going to be so nice to actually have a ship that doesn't feel slapped together with rooms from one set, a bridge from another, corridors from another, and did anyone think to add a bathroom. It's space afterall. Even at faster than light travel, this old fart still needs to drain the lizard every couple of hours!
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Sun, May 10
Still on detailing....

Remember that overhead panel in the middle of the bridge? While it's clearly prominent in the tv series, I've been going back and forth on the movie and i haven't seen a single scene/shot with it. Damn, I'd need to squeeze whatever creative juices i have left to put one in.

As for the bathroom, there'd be one near the passenger dorms, and maybe one per crew quarters. Let's see how this would turn out.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Mon, May 11
I'd probably go with the movie version. Detail is one thing, at a certain point, if forced, that detail turns into unnecessary clutter.

Haha, don't need to go to crazy with the bathrooms. I'm mainly story focused these days so its mainly for show, introducing a new crew member around the ship, that sort of thing. I have enough stuff I could easily improvise one if need be.
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Mon, May 11
My thoughts initially too, i.e. go with the movie version. But when i stitch the scenes together, aiming to create a 360 degree view of the bridge, that part is a void! Maybe it's a literal hole in the movie set, so they can get the camera in there, I don't know. But they were really careful not to get that front part of the bridge's ceiling in any shot.

Looking at a plane's cockpit, i may have an idea how to fill that empty space. I'll post another image once i get it done.
VulcanStarDrives
Karma: 13,059
Mon, May 11
Looks amazing, nice work! Almost sad that I won't have any more updates in this thread to look too soon.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Mon, May 11
@VulcanStarDrives

Haha, you going somewhere? Think we still have the galley, crew quarters, and I'm assuming the engine room at minimum!
VulcanStarDrives
Karma: 13,059
Tue, May 12
No, I'm not familiar with this sci fi series. I assumed wrongly that the last thing left was the bridge. This is definitely a pretty epic ship all around.
loner02Mon, May 11
Karma: 3,373
Just to clarify my intentions:

Comparing the movie and TV versions with regards to the overhead panel.
Forum Image

I can add an overhead panel as below, must be high enough as not to obstruct the pilot's view, but low enough to be reachable when standing up.
Forum Image
loner02
Karma: 3,373
Mon, May 11
Oh, just to add.
That overhead panel can be hidden, leaving only some beams or windshield frame. In case you prefer not having an overhead panel.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Tue, May 12
I can see why they would remove it for the movie. Thanks for adding the option to hide it. Kinda simply torn on it... I like things kinda open but at the same time it looks pretty cool!

Love that clay render looking toward the front of the cockpit! My impression of the cockpit from the series and movie made it feel alot more confined. It actually looks roomier than I thought it would be. Glad you added a character for reference.
loner02Tue, Jun 02
Karma: 3,373
FIRST LOOK:

At a (yet) empty Bridge. Still working on texturing the pilot/captain-side instruments and panels.
Daz render. No postwork. Except for adding a deathstar on the horizon.
Forum Image

The backrow wall and panels are more or less finished though. A little dark maybe, like an airplane cockpit at night, but i think that's how it should be. We can always add some daz lights if needed.
Forum Image

Hope to finish the rest of the Bridge in a couple of weeks or so.
dirtrider00
Karma: 24,915
Tue, Jun 02
Looking good! Not worried about the lighting. I tend to scrap the stock lighting (points, spots, etc.) and add my own based on the scene I'm creating.
MacSomme
Karma: 6,378
Wed, Jun 10
Can't wait to get my into my grubby fingers - as I will have time to actually work with it again in a couple of days.
loner02Mon, Jun 15
Karma: 3,373
FIRST LOOK:

At the pilot's side of the Bridge. Took a while texturing, had to make sure it looks good enough.
Daz render. No postwork.
Forum Image
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Tue, Jun 16
Love it Loner. Keep up the good work!
loner02Fri, Jun 26
Karma: 3,373
FIRST LOOK:

At the captain's side of the Bridge.
Daz render. No postwork.
Forum Image
loner02Wed, Jul 01
Karma: 3,373
Bridge is out!
https://www.renderhub.com/loner02/mal-s-boat-bridge

It's a way smaller room than cargo bay but quite a bit more complex. The base cargo bay has about 50K vertices, while the bridge clocks in at greater than 300K! 

Again, just the base package. A separate free addon for optional items will be made available, which includes:
- An overhead panel (from TV version, not seen in movie version)
- Crate props
- Wash's dinosaur toys
Forum Image

Like the Flying Mule, these are currently in the backburner, so I can proceed with the next section of the ship.

UP NEXT: Care for some strawberries?
loner02Sun, Jul 19
Karma: 3,373
Continuing this on a new thread, as this is getting a bit long already.
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account