×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/RENDERHUB GRAFFITI CONTEST 2

The Trap - Graffiti themed album cover (CLOSED)

eye530
Thread Activity
lejmSat, May 17, 2025
Congratulations!!! Wonderful work!
ITAT311Fri, May 16, 2025
Thank you!
ITAT311Fri, May 16, 2025
Thank you so much, I really enjoyed your design as well and wanted it to get first place. Happy that you got it! Certainly my favorite piece in this c
zirodesignFri, May 16, 2025
congrats!! You did such an awesome job so happy to see you on the list! 
kemal_8880Fri, May 16, 2025
Congratulations
RenderHub Admin 1Fri, May 16, 2025
Congratulations on taking THIRD PLACE in the contest! Great work.Someone will be in contact with you soon regarding your prize.Thanks for participatin
ITAT311Sat, Apr 26, 2025
Karma: 377
This project was originally an album cover for a musician friend of mine. When I heard about this contest I felt like it fits too well not to enter, since it already contained many graffitis and Hip Hop cultural references.

This earlier iteration of this shows the intended final look:

Forum Image

I was already in the process of reworking the entire project from the ground up, just before the contest started. This means that I am not yet finished but can show some of the progress along with some in-program captures. I also started learning Substance 3D Painter at the beginning of reworking the scene. I will try to add comprehensive credits for cc0 models that I used from Polyhaven or CGTrader, and list which models I made myself in their entirety.

The first Block-out after deciding to rework:
Forum Image

Some further block-out along with the first custom, textured models.
Forum Image

Blender capture after texturing the desk.
Forum Image

Finished texturing some models and blocked out a music production desk setup. Studio speakers, a vinyl crate, and a rectangle as block-out for a monitor atop a shelf. Underneath that the block-out cubes for an amplifier and a CD player.
Forum Image

Heightened the walls. Added base textures for the walls and the floor in preparation of the addition of graffitis later on. Decided on using UDIMs for the walls and floor. Textured the kitchen cabinets further. Also added a shoddy tile table.
Forum Image

Said UDIMs for the walls and floor.
Forum Image

Screenshot of the texturing process of the Marantz amplifier within Substance 3D Painter.
Forum Image

Added a bunch of graffitis, all of the ones on the walls, except for one, are from the MIT licensed Blauw Films "The Graffiti Scrapbook" graffiti decal pack. Some further grunge, grime and subtle paint splatters were added as well.
Forum Image

Latest previs render. Made a cheap office chair and fridge. Also noticed that a "RenderHub" graffiti tag was part of the requirements, so I made one by compositing some letters of the Blauw Films pack together. Placed it in the most visible (and legible) area available.
Forum Image

Still got lots to do so imma get back to it.

kemal_8880Sat, Apr 26, 2025
Karma: 178
Atmospheric Scene has turned out good.
gh0sttttSat, Apr 26, 2025
Karma: 1,486
God the realism is phenomenal...
ITAT311Tue, Apr 29, 2025
Karma: 377
Added some more details since this one, but will have to do the final render at higher settings overnight it seems. Post processing, wireframe and clay render will have to be done tomorrow morning it seems.
Latest version:Forum Image
ITAT311Tue, Apr 29, 2025
Karma: 377
The Vinyl Jackets are all textured with previous Album covers that I made over time

A closeup of them:
Forum Image
ITAT311Wed, Apr 30, 2025
Karma: 377
I think I'm done now. Added a lot more stuff like Assets from the Trash Kit by Martin Koehler, two building photo-scans by Anatolii Umanets, or some Polyhaven assets like some trees and lamps for practical lighting. I also dispersed some more of my own models like a Vinyl Jacket on the table a dubious cooking arrangement consisting of a jar and a pot on the stove, a book, an air vent, and some light switches and power outlets. Also decided against the underwater look from my first attempt, as I felt it took away from the detail of the various objects in the scene.
This is the resulting raw render with noise:Forum Image

Sadly, due to my usage of the Lens Sim add-on by Håvard Dalen, I was unable to render a wireframe view using the original camera, due to it's distortion within the given timeframe. Because of this I opted to use a regular, undistorted camera for the wireframe, which should show roughly the same objects. Here is the wireframe of the entire scene:Forum Image
A cropped wireframe look at the desk area:Forum Image
A cropped wireframe look at the kitchen area:Forum Image
Also a clay render, again using the alternate undistorted camera:Forum Image
And lastly the final render. I had to re-render some minor areas like the bag to the right of the fridge (the asset had a problem with it's normal map), or the corners between the walls and floor because of light leakage. Lastly I graded the shot using Camera Raw, dialing in the warm, dreamlike appearance I was aiming for. This is going to be the last iteration, unless I notice some glaring issue that needs fixing.
As per the rules, no generative AI was used in the creation of this render.
So here is the final render and with that my entry into the contest:Forum Image
I learned some workflow optimization and got to know Substance 3D Painter during this project which gave me much joy. Best of luck to everyone participating in this contest.
ITAT311
jamie6Thu, May 08, 2025
Admin: 14,430
Forum Image
Thumbnail for contest gallery
RenderHub Admin 1Fri, May 16, 2025
Admin: 16,674
Congratulations on taking THIRD PLACE in the contest! Great work.
Someone will be in contact with you soon regarding your prize.

Thanks for participating in the contest.

kemal_8880Fri, May 16, 2025
Karma: 178
Congratulations
ITAT311
Karma: 377
Fri, May 16, 2025
Thank you!
zirodesignFri, May 16, 2025
Karma: 3,241
congrats!! You did such an awesome job so happy to see you on the list! 
ITAT311
Karma: 377
Fri, May 16, 2025
Thank you so much, I really enjoyed your design as well and wanted it to get first place. Happy that you got it! Certainly my favorite piece in this contest. Congratulations
lejmSat, May 17, 2025
Karma: 3,807
Congratulations!!! Wonderful work!
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account