×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/RENDERHUB GRAFFITI CONTEST 2

Point-of-view street (CLOSED)

eye109
AlfretonWed, Apr 30, 2025
Karma: 151
My entry for the RenderHub Graffiti Contest 2 - a message spread out over an entire piece of street!
Forum Image

Forum Image
My original idea toyed with UVs projecting from camera in Blender and Unreal - I loved the idea of the words of the graffiti only being visible from a certain angle, a little like an optical illusion!Forum ImageForum Image
Above: blockout with basic lighting in Unreal Engine, along with an annotated version theorising how the main angle might look.Forum Image
I sketched over my model from multiple angles as I developed the street mesh, going back and forth from Maya to Unreal with new iterations of the models while gathering extra references where needed. Scale in particular was a key factor I took care to get as accurate as possible.
Forum Image

For the graffiti itself, I created a series of alpha images in Photoshop, creating a variable material that I could reuse for each individual decal, ensuring that every letter of the graffiti is individually customisable while sharing the same parent material!
Forum Image
I created two concentric cylinders to serve as a fake background skybox, creating a sense of depth beyond the composition.
Forum ImageForum Image

In addition, I began to divide up individual areas of the meshes to create trim sheets for reusable, modular texturing.
Forum ImageForum ImageForum ImageForum Image

I used Zbrush and substance painter to sculpt and bake the trims - but as I progressed, I felt that I enjoyed the plain 'greybox' feel of the composition, and how the graffiti popped out against the grey background. However, this project was still an awesome learning exercise, and I'm eager to return to it in the future!



jamie6Thu, May 08, 2025
Admin: 14,430
Forum Image
Thumbnail for contest gallery
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account