×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/WIP PROJECTS AND CRITIQUES

Landing Platform WIP (CLOSED)

eye207
VulcanStarDrivesTue, Jun 10, 2025
Karma: 13,059
Thought I'd share my progress with the landing platform stuff.  

The goal is to provide a hanger/repair depot/base/whatever for spacecraft like snubfighters or small shuttles.  I'm very loosely basing the hanger/pad off train wheelhouse turntable constructions, and plan to omit a pair of sheds to make some sort of office and living quarters in that space.  





'front' of shed. 
Forum Image


Backside of shed.  I think I'll mount the whole thing on some sort of platform, and add an balcony to hang off the sides around here.  Maybe stick a few deck chairs out there, too.  Pilots and maintenance crew need smoke breaks, after all.
Forum Image
Forum Image


Close up of front and pad
Forum Image

Y-wing for scale.  I snagged it off sharecg before it went down.  Credit to, according to documentation,  model by JHoagland and textures by mrsparky.  Website listed is https://www.vanishingpoint.biz/
Forum Image


deathdTue, Jun 10, 2025
Karma: 1,663
Looks pretty cool so far, nice job.
VulcanStarDrives
Karma: 13,059
Tue, Jun 10, 2025
Thanks! Hoping here to finish it enough to release it on the store.
HerheyTue, Jun 10, 2025
Karma: 13,080
Cool
VulcanStarDrives
Karma: 13,059
Tue, Jun 10, 2025
glad you like it
lukonWed, Jun 11, 2025
Karma: 8,496
Cool idea. I want to see it brought to life in some renders.

When I think of a ring of hangars, I think of these things I happen to have already. Have you seen them?:

This one seems the closest to what yr making.
https://www.daz3d.com/14mu-space-dock

This on is a building with a ring of 5 hangars at the top.
https://www.renderosity.com/marketplace/products/107642
VulcanStarDrives
Karma: 13,059
Wed, Jun 11, 2025
Yes I have, for 14mu, that's one of my favorites! I see some similarity in the current design, but leaning towards omitting a few buildings to make it a semi-ring with a office/quarters building and small plaza, closer to the train turntable/wheelhouse setup. Thinking here that a little more room is necessary to allow the default 65mm daz camera to 'catch' all of a spaceship at eye level, and completely enclosing the pad at the scale I'm doing makes that difficult.

The second one I've not spotted as an item while shopping but I do recognize the source material, 'The New Tower of Babel', Metropolis, 1927 which is pretty cool and unexpected, thanks for sharing!
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Wed, Jun 11, 2025
Ya. Good call on that omitting a building or two to get good camera coverage of ships.

And Lang's Metropolis is by far one of my favorite movies. I don't see enough media reconciling class conflict like that.
VulcanStarDrivesThu, Jun 12, 2025
Karma: 13,059

near completely rebuilt the roof- a lot of it was really just simple massing planes that needed to be fleshed out, eliminated that gable pokethough.  Added an awning, the sidewall and a few details for it.  Ran out out of time to start the office/quarters building, but there's always later.  Would also like to add in some greebles and conduits so I don't have to lean too hard on textures and lighting to get that sci fi vibe.  Maybe a basketball hoop with a neon rim, just because.  

Forum Image

Vanishingpoint Ywing for scale. 
Forum Image
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account