×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/CHARACTER DESIGN CONTEST

Camelia (CLOSED)

eye855
Thread Activity
TemperinoSun, Jan 17, 2021
Thanks a lot @Foxy 3D :) It has been a great experience participating in this contest.
Foxy 3DSat, Jan 16, 2021
Oh my gosh - this turned out great! Scary but cute at the same time. And the texture details are fantastic. Nice work!  Thank you for partic
TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
TemperinoFri, Oct 16, 2020
Karma: 178
Reposting old thread into new one as I didn't tick 'THIS IS MY OFFICIAL CONTEST ENTRY' in the other one.

Hello! I’m making an anthropomorphic mantis for this contest called Camelia. WIP below.image

TemperinoFri, Oct 16, 2020
Karma: 178
Testing out the poseimageimage
AserGodoyFri, Oct 16, 2020
Karma: 115
Love the mantis pose!
Foxy 3DSat, Oct 17, 2020
Admin: 59,523
Looking great so far! Thanks for the nice WIPs.  
Have a wonderful weekend.    
TemperinoSun, Oct 18, 2020
Karma: 178
Thank you, I'm glad you like the pose @AserGodoy

Thanks, you too @Foxy 3D
Foxy 3DTue, Nov 03, 2020
Admin: 59,523
Hey there!
We're over half way through the contest period, so I was just checking to see if you're still in. 
This is cool so far, so I hope you are.    
TemperinoThu, Nov 05, 2020
Karma: 178
Heey @Foxy 3D yes I'm in I've mostly completed modelling the character. I'll be thinking about the colours and textures next.
Here are some WIP images, I have adjusted the topology and added details with the multiresolution modifier. Reference images of mantises were so useful for getting the general shape into place.
The pictures in cream colour have the multiresolution modifier turned on, so all the details can be seen. In grey colour, the character has multiresolution turned off and subdivision surface turned on to show the underlying shape.imageimageimageimageimage image

Topology:

image
Foxy 3DThu, Nov 05, 2020
Admin: 59,523
Glad to hear that you're still in, and it's looking great!
Thank you for sharing the nice detailed WIPs.    
TemperinoFri, Nov 06, 2020
Karma: 178
Thanks @Foxy 3D
TemperinoMon, Nov 09, 2020
Karma: 178
Working on the wings
image
TemperinoTue, Nov 17, 2020
Karma: 178
New WIP:

I've UV unwrapped the character and organised the UV maps
image
Been testing the position of the eyes and started to make textures for them
image
I've added some details
image
and placed some base colours and textures
image
Foxy 3DTue, Nov 17, 2020
Admin: 59,523
The coloring is making this really come to life. Great work!
And she's kinda cute - even with that devilish grin.  LOL.    
Foxy 3DFri, Nov 20, 2020
Admin: 59,523
CONTEST ENTRY DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15, 2021

Some contest participants have been giving feedback that they may not have time to complete their projects, or may have to take shortcuts to make the November 30th deadline. 
To relieve some of this anxiety and give artists more time to do the quality job they want, RenderHub has decided to extend the entry period deadline to January 15, 2021. 

We thank you all for participating! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  

TemperinoMon, Nov 23, 2020
Karma: 178
Alright, thanks for the information.
Foxy 3DTue, Nov 24, 2020
Admin: 59,523
Sure thing! No problem.    

TemperinoWed, Nov 25, 2020
Karma: 178
new WIP: I've been mainly working on textures for the wings with procedural patterns and effects. 
image
image
Now that we have more time I'll be taking a break but I'll be back
TemperinoSun, Dec 20, 2020
Karma: 178
Hello! I'm back New WIP:


I have added a metallic green layer to accentuate some modelling details. I've also tried out some colour combinations in Photoshop.
image

After testing different colour palettes, I decided to go for a split complementary colour scheme made of a yellowish green, an orangey yellow and purple.
image
Foxy 3DMon, Dec 21, 2020
Admin: 59,523
Very cool! Glad to see you're still in it. 
Looking good. Thanks for the updates.    
TemperinoThu, Jan 07, 2021
Karma: 178
Thanks @ Foxy 3D

New WIP:


I've almost finished texturing. Will be thinking about the overall composition next.

image
Jakob ScheidtThu, Jan 07, 2021
Karma: 280
Cool work!
TemperinoThu, Jan 07, 2021
Karma: 178
Thanks @Jakob Scheidt
TemperinoThu, Jan 07, 2021
Karma: 178
image

Microdetails:

image
Foxy 3DFri, Jan 08, 2021
Admin: 59,523
Great details. This is looking awesome! 
TemperinoWed, Jan 13, 2021
Karma: 178
Thanks @Foxy 3D

New WIP:

I've made a quick rig for the character. This pose is in the second scene I'm working on.

image


TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
Karma: 178
**FINAL RENDERS**



Here are the final renders, all rendered in Cycles. It was really nice to participate in this contest



SOFTWARE USED:


Blender for Modelling, Rigging, Lighting and Rendering


Photoshop, Illustrator, Blender and Substance Painter for texturing UV maps


Photoshop for images post-processing




ASSETS FOR THE ENVIRONMENTS:


https://cc0textures.com/view?id=Ground030 — GROUND


https://cc0textures.com/view?id=3DRock003 — ROCK


AND SHRUB FROM BLENDERKIT ADD-ON


+ SKY AND MIST MADE BY ME




TEXTURES


Diffuse (x2) — 4096 × 4096


SSS Mask (x2) — 4096 × 4096


SSS Colour (x2) — 4096 × 4096


Normal (x2) — 4096 × 4096


Roughness (x2) — 4096 × 4096


Green metal Mask (x2) — 4096 × 4096


Height (x2) — 8192 × 8192


+

2048 × 2128 texture maps for the eyes (x2)


2048 × 2048 texture maps for the wings (x4)
TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
Karma: 178
image
TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
Karma: 178
image
TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
Karma: 178
image
TemperinoThu, Jan 14, 2021
Karma: 178
image
Foxy 3DSat, Jan 16, 2021
Admin: 59,523
Oh my gosh - this turned out great! Scary but cute at the same time. And the texture details are fantastic. Nice work!  
Thank you for participating in the contest, and for the awesome WIPs along the way. I have enjoyed following the progress of your project.  
I am just the contest host and won't be judging, so best of luck to you!    


TemperinoSun, Jan 17, 2021
Karma: 178
Thanks a lot @Foxy 3D It has been a great experience participating in this contest.
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account