×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/CHARACTER DESIGN CONTEST

Hagala Surault, the Grey Owl. (CLOSED)

eye537
Thread Activity
Foxy 3DSat, Jan 16, 2021
Heyyy!!! Glad to see you were able to finish her! She looks really cool, and very much like your concept images. Unique character and an interesting s
DanailThu, Jan 14, 2021
Ok, uhm... i kow that I disapperaed for... huh, an entire month?I had some troubles with the model (and not only with it) and sometimes I had the doub
Foxy 3DSun, Nov 22, 2020
Looks pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing.  
DanailFri, Nov 20, 2020
@Foxy 3D oh, that's fine, thank you C:Btw I have also a wips to post, while Substance bakes the maps for the body. High poly with the low poly.
Foxy 3DFri, Nov 20, 2020
CONTEST ENTRY DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15, 2021Some contest participants have been giving feedback that they may not have time to complete their p
BadBBillyFri, Oct 30, 2020
The 3D sculpting blocking out stage always looks impressive, you can see the clay progressively being transformed into a beautiful design from the art
DanailFri, Oct 16, 2020
Karma: 199
Hi!
This is the first part of the concept-art-phase. With the final renders, if this it's okay, I'll post her complete backstory, with a few pills of her lore with future wips.
For now, a little presentation: she is Hagala "Grey Owl" Surault, a 48 y.o. Divination Wizard who is secretely also a Vae'nder, a kind of priests or priestess in conctat with the spirits of nature.
She is a character in a setting created by me for various campaigns on tabletop rpg and for other projects.

For the Vae'nders (or Wardens): similar to druids, this category of people differ from them by the use of the Primordial Tongue (in this world called Ancient Thulys), a language used by some of those spirits (or natural forces) to describe, and thus shape, the world in witch she lives. Language from which iher name derives in part, and from which her divinatory powers arise.








[Sorry for delete-and-repost loop, I had some issues with the connection ]

imageimageimageimage

Foxy 3DSat, Oct 17, 2020
Admin: 59,523
Looks pretty cool. Welcome to the contest! 
DanailSat, Oct 17, 2020
Karma: 199
Thank you Foxy, hahaha.
Anyway,  I have other sketchabout the face, the tattoos, the mask around the body and the mask. They are still "rought", but now that's enought for me.

imageimage
image

BadBBillySat, Oct 17, 2020
Karma: 162
wow!, great concept art, love it, keep going, we need more....
DanailWed, Oct 21, 2020
Karma: 199
Thank you BadBBilly, hahaha.
I have the latest sketches about the clothes, both in traditional and digital.. Now I'll move on to the modelling...

imageimageimage
DanailTue, Oct 27, 2020
Karma: 199
Nothing very interesting, only two wips about the basic shapes on ZBrush and a close up on the eyes.

imageimage
BadBBillyFri, Oct 30, 2020
Karma: 162
The 3D sculpting blocking out stage always looks impressive, you can see the clay progressively being transformed into a beautiful design from the artist hands. awesome work.
Foxy 3DFri, Nov 20, 2020
Admin: 59,523
CONTEST ENTRY DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15, 2021

Some contest participants have been giving feedback that they may not have time to complete their projects, or may have to take shortcuts to make the November 30th deadline. 
To relieve some of this anxiety and give artists more time to do the quality job they want, RenderHub has decided to extend the entry period deadline to January 15, 2021. 

We thank you all for participating! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  

DanailFri, Nov 20, 2020
Karma: 199
@Foxy 3D oh, that's fine, thank you C:

Btw I have also a wips to post, while Substance bakes the maps for the body. High poly with the low poly.
imageimageimageimageimage
Foxy 3DSun, Nov 22, 2020
Admin: 59,523
Looks pretty cool.  Thanks for sharing.  
DanailThu, Jan 14, 2021
Karma: 199
Ok, uhm... i kow that I disapperaed for... huh, an entire month?
I had some troubles with the model (and not only with it) and sometimes I had the doubt of not being able to finish.
Anyway, I know it's not the best job of the contest: but that's okay, despite everything there is something positive. I learned something new and it was fun at certain times, so it wasn't entirely useless

However, just to give some more info about her: like I wrote in the first post, her name is Hagala and she is a divinatory scholar and a person in contact with many natural forces.
Her family, the Surault, in fact has very ancient roots: born when their world was still young, they were molded by the spirit (intented a being who is a demigod-like) linket to the language and the Ancient Thulys (the primeval tongue) creation.
For this reason, a common names in the Suraul family are the names of runes: for them, those names rappresent both letters and actual concept and ideas, like feelings, natural events ecc...
The symbols on her body are an heritage of this thing: every Surault, sooner or later, develops black scarifications on the body, although the patters are differently from person to person.

In this sense, Hagala is linked to the time cycle and, in particular, to the past: like the hail which first destroy and then, when it melts, turns into beneficial water, Hagala is a name with a dual nature. Nature that represent the concept of “seed that generates life”, ”destructive force” and then “new rebirth cycle”. For this she is also a diviner: connecting to the knowledge of his ancestors, she can know the patterns of the past, recognize them in the present and in the future in order to change the future.
This is a summarize about her, but I think that's enough... I guess.

Now I post the final renders and, in a second moment, I'll post the topology with the textures.
imageimageimageimageimageimage
(Bonus: two simple poses)
imageimage
Foxy 3DSat, Jan 16, 2021
Admin: 59,523
Heyyy!!! Glad to see you were able to finish her!
She looks really cool, and very much like your concept images. Unique character and an interesting story. Nice job.  
Thank you for participating, and for providing such cool reference images and nice WIPs. It's been fun to follow your project. 
I am just the contest host and won't be judging, but I do wish you luck. Have a great weekend!    


Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account