×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/WINTER FANTASY II RENDER CONTEST

Winter Fantasy Render Contest - 2023 (CLOSED)

eye1,840
Thread Activity
CurvedInsightThu, Jan 18, 2024
lol that didnt work for the 20+ entries from one
DClawThu, Jan 18, 2024
I totally agree about the crowd voting. Way too easy to manipulate it. I also get the enormity of trying to give feed back for 300+ entries, but theor
K3DDesignThu, Jan 18, 2024
Might be a good strategy just to flood the contest with low effort renders and increase the wheelspin chance.
BRAHIM39Thu, Jan 18, 2024
I've seen contests with lots of entries, take pawnisher challenges as an example, the judges go through all the entries in a two hours  long vide
BRAHIM39Thu, Jan 18, 2024
lottery XD
Kei_KunThu, Jan 18, 2024
good one! anyway if low effort is what the judges want to promote Low effort is what they are going to get ;)
CurvedInsightThu, Jan 18, 2024
@ DClaw1stly, greetings :)I think it may have been me who mentioned something along those lines.Even though hearing from judges would be a nice idea,
DClawThu, Jan 18, 2024
By the way, in case anyone from RenderHub actually reads these posts and cares about these issues, I'd be happy to help construct such a rubric. Messa
DClawThu, Jan 18, 2024
I am less disturbed by the use of Daz 3D (especially since I use Daz software) as I am about how an image (a nice image, to be sure) of a reindeer whi
DClawThu, Jan 18, 2024
Someone (maybe CurvedInsight) told me a couple of months back that winners are likely chosen at random. Nothing I have seen in the last three contests
Foxy 3DWed, Nov 22, 2023
Admin: 59,559
Welcome to the RenderHub Winter Fantasy Render Contest

It's that time of year, so we are looking for a dreamy winter fantasy. 
Render a 3D scene that transports us to this magical place!
Join the fun and take your shot at winning prizes.

Official Rules for the contest can be found here:
https://www.renderhub.com/3d-contests/winter-fantasy-ii-render-contest 

Submit your entries here:
https://www.renderhub.com/forum/winter-fantasy-ii-render-contest 

If you have any questions about the contest, feel free to ask them here in this thread.
westcala1cWed, Nov 22, 2023
Karma: 14,114
How do i remove a contest entry.
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Wed, Nov 22, 2023
You should be able to click the delete button on the main post.
If that doesn't work for you, just give me a link and I can take care of it.
westcala1c
Karma: 14,114
Wed, Nov 22, 2023
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Wed, Nov 22, 2023
OK. I removed it for you.
westcala1c
Karma: 14,114
Wed, Nov 22, 2023
Thanks Foxy.
DClawWed, Nov 22, 2023
Karma: 1,315
I'm just curious about what it means that entries "cannot be significantly based on the art of another artist." Not that I'm planning to pass someone else's work off as my own, but I am wondering where the lines on "significantly based" fall. For instance, if, say, I recreated a model of the Sanctum in Hyrule Castle from TOTK and filled it with Christmas decorations, would that mean my work was "significantly based on the art of another artist" or not? I mean, theoretically, anything I focus my work on that I didn't personally sculpt or texture could be considered "the art of another artist." Any clarity you can give would be helpful. Thanks.
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Wed, Nov 22, 2023
I believe this rule was implemented so people don't try to copy existing work.
As in - create a 3D version of existing photographs, paintings, etc.
DClaw
Karma: 1,315
Thu, Nov 23, 2023
Gotcha. Thank you.
HeavenMade98Wed, Nov 22, 2023
Karma: 303
Hey is 2048x2048 too big for the render? I don't know how to adjust my settings yet.
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Thu, Nov 23, 2023
No, that's not too big.

From what I understand, the system should leave any image 3840x3840 and below at the uploaded resolution.
Anything larger will get re-sized to 3840 px on the longest side.

I tested this myself some time ago and can confirm that's the way it works.
HeavenMade98
Karma: 303
Thu, Nov 23, 2023
Awesome, thank you Foxy.
Design HereticWed, Nov 22, 2023
Karma: 17,279
Who are the judges? How many judges are there? What are the exact norms for judging? What methodology will be used for judging? Will the process of judging be transparent this time around? If not, in what way can RenderHub vouch for the fairness of the judging process to contest applicants?

Don't get me wrong. My intention is to spark a healthy discussion. Main goal of RenderHub is to attract new vendors and artists to its platform with regular and engaging contests. Chache price is the main motivation, artistic challenge is another. But lack of transparency has opposite effects, and after 18 months of various contests some detailed explanation and a clear map of the scoring system and methodology, as well as presenting if possible video proof of judging results is due.

Online experience is changing rapidly and autocratic approaches and limitation of acceptable narratives is not a good business model anymore.

Tnx for a prompt and in-depth answer.

K3DDesign
Karma: 410
Mon, Nov 27, 2023
u win if it looks good
the joker of spades
Karma: 35,851
Fri, Dec 22, 2023
you will never have the correct answer to this question, I have asked it on many platforms, they will tell you, creativity, quality, technique, if you then go and look at the results, let's take the latest contest... non-existent concept and creativity, you will understand that often that what do you do and what the winner does doesn't count for anything, the important thing is to post your work trying to give some emotion... that's what graphic arts are for, I've done contests on different platforms, the results are like politics, just an exchange of hugs
Design HereticWed, Nov 22, 2023
Karma: 17,279
DClaw4 Hours ago Karma: 589
I'm just curious about what it means that entries "cannot be significantly based on the art of another artist." Not that I'm planning to pass someone else's work off as my own, but I am wondering where the lines on "significantly based" fall. For instance, if, say, I recreated a model of the Sanctum in Hyrule Castle from TOTK and filled it with Christmas decorations, would that mean my work was "significantly based on the art of another artist" or not? I mean, theoretically, anything I focus my work on that I didn't personally sculpt or texture could be considered "the art of another artist." Any clarity you can give would be helpful. Thanks.

Foxy 3D Admin: 48,642
I believe this rule was implemented so people don't try to copy existing work.
As in - create a 3D version of existing photographs, paintings, etc.

I had to respond this way since in reply I can't attach pics.

Andy Worhol's Black Bean is just 2D reproduction of existing product, but it's artistic value is unique in shoving industrial age consumerism. Should we say Andy Worhol is just tief? Someone who copied someone else's art? If you make 3D model and render of that Can of been are you copzing Anys work or work of original designer of original can of beens? Is your 3D model original since you made all those pixels?

Forum Image

Since the photographer made all this trouble to make perfect lighting and to find perfect angles to complement statue is that photo original or just a knock off of Venus de Milo  in the Louvre? If you make perfect 3D representation of Venus de Milo is that your original work or what? Last i checked original is made from Italian white marble not pixels.

Forum Image


And last argument. Since before Homo Sapiens walked this earth other representatives from the hominid family (homo erectus, homo habilis, etc) were making straight and curved lines in sand, rock, and other mediums. So whatever you make from the start is just a copy of someone's art from the past and if some mysterious (fictional) judge don-t like your nickname, name, or theme of your work, if he/she feels threatened by your skills, or just simply cant fantom your vision, you have no chance to win the contest.

Forum Image




DClaw
Karma: 1,315
Thu, Nov 23, 2023
Wow! That's quite a response...and a little bit of an art history lesson, too. I feel your questions about criteria and transparency. That's sort of what prompted my question in the first place.
K3DDesign
Karma: 410
Mon, Nov 27, 2023
you're overthinking it bro. Just remember; plagiarism bad.
westcala1cThu, Nov 23, 2023
Karma: 14,114
Hi is there any way of editing submitted entry's .
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Thu, Nov 23, 2023
Unfortunately, there is no edit feature for the forum, which the contests are based upon.
There is an open feature request for that, but I don't know when we'll see it implemented.
westcala1cThu, Nov 23, 2023
Karma: 14,114
Do all my entry's have to be posted into my gallery.
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Thu, Nov 23, 2023
We encourage people to submit their entries to the gallery, but it is not a contest requirement.
mmrphilinyMon, Dec 04, 2023
Karma: 108
Hello, can artists from Russia take part in the competition?
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Tue, Dec 05, 2023
Absolutely! Lots of people from Russia are part of the RenderHub community.
As long as participating in contests is allowed by your local laws, RenderHub has no restrictions on that.
boomzoidMon, Dec 04, 2023
Karma: 107
Are there any guidelines for image format, size, dimensions or resolution?
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Tue, Dec 05, 2023
Yes, there are - and that is normally included in the Deliverables section of the rules by default.
I see that is missing for this contest, so I have added the following:

WIP images and final render may be in any aspect ratio format of your choosing.
Size must be at least 1080 pixels square. At least 1920x1080 or 1080x1920 is preferred.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention.
DavidGoPo3DTue, Dec 05, 2023
Karma: 102
Hello there, my question is if the 3D scene and rendering has to be done in DAZ Studio or can we use other 3D software?

Thank you.
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Tue, Dec 05, 2023
We have a lot of Daz Studio users active in the community, but this is not a Daz-specific contest.
You can use any 3D software you want.
VilinFXHubSat, Dec 09, 2023
Karma: 1,951
Hi Foxy,
I tried to enter the contest, Text is okay but I can't insert my image.
I choose a file, then open it but nothing happens.

Can you help.
Thank you.
Gr. Peter


Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Sat, Dec 09, 2023
I just tested it, and the system is working fine.

Please email your images to support@renderhub.com
I will try a test post using them and see what happens.

Please let me know when you send them so I can go look for them. Thanks!
AlfRaMusic
Karma: 16,607
Sun, Dec 10, 2023
If the file name contains special characters, the upload will not work! I accidentally had a period in the name and was wondering why the upload wasn't working! If I remember correctly?
VilinFXHub
Karma: 1,951
Sun, Dec 10, 2023
Thank you both Foxy3D and AlfRaMusic for the quick response,
I did indeed have some special characters in the file name, I'll try again.
If that doesn't work, I'll send it to your Foxy.
Gr. Peter
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Sun, Dec 10, 2023
Sounds good.

If changing the file name does work, please let me know what the name *was* that didn't work.
I'll let the coders know so they can either allow those characters or prompt a user-friendly error.
VilinFXHub
Karma: 1,951
Tue, Dec 12, 2023
Hi Foxy 3D

I just enter the contest and everything works fine now.
Text and Image all okay.
This is the filename I used " Sometimes you have to make the best of a bad situation - RenderHub winter contest"
I used a dash in the filename and it was no problem to upload.

I don't know why it did not worked for me the first time, but it's okay now.
Thank you.
Gr. Peter van der Linden
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Tue, Dec 12, 2023
Excellent! I'm glad to hear that it worked for you now.
Thanks for the update and for participating in the contest.
Snarp
Karma: 2,480
Sun, Dec 31, 2023
I'm having a similar problem, I couldn't see any buttons or links to upload my image, but being colorblind to RED on BLACK maybe I just can't see them.
This is my first time entering the contest and I might have done something wrong right from the start, all I was able to submit was a blank post.

Snarp
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Sun, Dec 31, 2023
@Snarp - We can't insert images in sub-replies, so I posted a graphic for you down below. I hope that helps.
Snarp
Karma: 2,480
Sun, Dec 31, 2023
Could you just delete my post, there isn't enough time to do anything now. I'll try for the next contest though.
artist
VireArtworksMon, Dec 11, 2023
Account Closed
Are animations allowed as well or only still renders?
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Mon, Dec 11, 2023
You can certainly include an animation if you want.
But since this is a render contest, animations won't be included in the judges' decision process.
MysticArtDesignMon, Dec 11, 2023
Karma: 19,562
Can I post here in Gallerie, on Facebook and instagram and other render galleries? I used new products for my store in my render. Can I take the picture into the store or not?
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Mon, Dec 11, 2023
Yes, absolutely. You are free to post your contest images anywhere you want.

We do encourage participants to post their entries on social media and link to their threads here.
We even have a special hashtag to use, if you want:
#RenderHubContest
MysticArtDesign
Karma: 19,562
Mon, Dec 11, 2023
Thank you very much
HeavenMade98Fri, Dec 15, 2023
Karma: 303
I have a question on one of the rules, what counts as a Household Member of Renderhub? I've been considering becoming a seller on here but I don't know if that means I can't participate in contests after the fact.

Rule I'm asking about: "Work entered into this contest must be the original work of the contest entrant. This contest is open to persons 18 years or older, as of the start date of the contest. Employees, and their immediate families, including household members of RenderHub are not eligible to enter. RenderHub reserves the right to verify eligibility qualifications of any winner. Incomplete entries may be declared void. Entry will be deemed to have been submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail address from which the entry is made. Submitted work may not infringe on any third-party rights."
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Sun, Dec 17, 2023
That means people living in the same household as RenderHub staff are not eligible to enter the contests.
HeavenMade98
Karma: 303
Sun, Dec 17, 2023
Ohh okay thank you, that makes more sense.
OkmijunMon, Dec 25, 2023
Karma: 168
Is it possible to post 2 winter scenes, in 2 posts? Separately?

CosmicEnvisions
Karma: 5,142
Tue, Dec 26, 2023
It says in the contest rules here, which you should have a read if you haven't already.
https://www.renderhub.com/3d-contests/winter-fantasy-ii-render-contest

"You can enter with more than one submission, but you can only win once per contest."

So yes you can have 2 winter scenes in two posts that are separate.
OkmijunMon, Dec 25, 2023
Karma: 168
1. If we post the winter renders into Renderhub gallery, how we could link them to the post in winter contest?
Or we do it separately, first post images in gallery, lets say, and then post in thread, with no connection?

2. How much max MB files should be for posting in gallery/ thread?

3. Could we post in some free web image server, and then just paste the image?
CosmicEnvisions
Karma: 5,142
Tue, Dec 26, 2023
Seeing as no one's answered yet, they might be on holidays.

1. I posted my entry into the contest thread. Then to my profile gallery. In my profile gallery I put a link 2 my competition entry. It was done separately, no connection.

2. I've had issues uploading PNG images 50mb and above. Anything below that should be fine. The smaller the better.

3. Probably best to upload your entry and picture to renderhub. Some people do supply a link to a external image hosting site as an extra.
Okmijun
Karma: 168
Tue, Dec 26, 2023
thank you so much!
Cheers!

what about multiple different submissions?
Could we post 2 winter scenes?
Okmijun
Karma: 168
Tue, Dec 26, 2023
I've just seen your other answer, this massage could be delete...thanks again!
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Sun, Dec 31, 2023
@CosmicEnvisions - Thank you for helping them out!
CosmicEnvisions
Karma: 5,142
Tue, Jan 16, 2024
No worries Foxy
Deadpool209977Tue, Dec 26, 2023
Karma: 995
I have entered the contest with my image. The problem I have is that I am kinda new to the 3D game and I don't know how to render the wireframe in DAZ Studio. I can set the image to wireframe or lit wireframe but I don't know how to render that.
Deadpool209977
Karma: 995
Tue, Dec 26, 2023
NM, I feel like an idiot! It's a screenshot, I was trying to render the wireframe shot.
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Sun, Dec 31, 2023
LOL - Don't feel that way. It's not totally obvious.

Thanks for participating in the contest. Happy New Year to you!
Foxy 3DSun, Dec 31, 2023
Admin: 59,559
For @Snarp - Reply to comment above. 

Forum Image
Rated RanchMon, Jan 01, 2024
Karma: 117
Hiya, I have a question about one of the rules. Under Originality, it states the following:
"Entries must be new original work specifically made for this contest"


The piece I made is a new work specifically for this contest, but I just saw that there is another contest (on a separate site) that my piece would also fit into. Could I use the same piece as an entry for that contest, or would that most likely disqualify me from this contest?

I figured that it was better to be safe than sorry, thanks!
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Mon, Jan 01, 2024
That rule is in place so people create new work for the contests - and not just enter things they've rendered in the past.

As long as your entry was specifically made for this contest, what you do with it after that is up to you.
That's no problem as far as this contest is concerned.
Rated Ranch
Karma: 117
Tue, Jan 02, 2024
Awesome, much appreciated!
Foxy 3D
Admin: 59,559
Tue, Jan 02, 2024
Sure thing. Thanks for participating!
mmrphilinyMon, Jan 15, 2024
Karma: 108
when will the results of the competition be available?

giant dwarf
Karma: 5,737
Mon, Jan 15, 2024
I was wondering when this song will start playing.
OFFICIALRenderGoddess
Karma: 2,029
Mon, Jan 15, 2024
wondering as well.
BadowwTue, Jan 16, 2024
Karma: 154
where are the winners announced? why is it so hard to find? i look under forum, you would think a new thread in winter contest, called winners. nope too easy. maybe announced on main page... nope. look under last forum postts... nope wth?
K3DDesign
Karma: 410
Tue, Jan 16, 2024
Not announced yet. Probably going to be in a few days.
Kei Kurono
Karma: 120
Tue, Jan 16, 2024
on the Challenge Page it says the winners will be announced on the 14th so I guess they might've forgotten haha
Okmijun
Karma: 168
Tue, Jan 16, 2024
Probably there are some awesome renders more, they did not expect
so now they are in sweet trouble, what to choose!
Kei Kurono
Karma: 120
Tue, Jan 16, 2024
well they could've said that -_- but they are radio silent since the 14th
CosmicEnvisions
Karma: 5,142
Tue, Jan 16, 2024
For people who dont know. Winners will be announced here. Unless they change it for this competition.

https://www.renderhub.com/3d-contests/winter-fantasy-ii-render-contest

For all the comps the results have been late, try be a little patient if you can
Kinda normal after entering a few of them
Okmijun
Karma: 168
Tue, Jan 16, 2024
2-3 days, even 10, of being late, is honestly funny comparing to
the major architectural contests, where delaying of 20-30 days is common.
even 45 days of delaying could happen...
dwindtTue, Jan 16, 2024
Karma: 6,697
Look at all the stunning entries. The judges' hands are full, I'll bet. I wouldn't like to pick a winner! Best of hope to everyone. Just remember, if you've participated, you're a winner already!
Kei KuronoWed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 120
Alright, I am going to ask this, genuine question. 

what are the judging criteria exactly? 

Forum Image

I personally don't see how the first pick hit al the marks?

I really don't agree with the first pick.

I am not sure what's in the first pick that screams "Fantasy" which is supposed to be the main theme 

I actually think the third pick should've been the winners, or is this a Modern Art vs Traditional Art case?

but fair play congrats to the winner, I won't be participating in these Challenges In the future unless the judging is more transparent, at least more than

"What someone feels like it's artistic" ignoring the topic of the challenge completely. 

or someone please make it make sense to me
K3DDesign
Karma: 410
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
Get used to it.
If you want to win heres what you do:
-steal some assets from daz or similar,
-place them in your scene,
-add effects
Creativity and originality arent important and neither is thechnical ability. The creator of the winning render itself admited it as much in their comments when i asked.
A sad day for the 3d art community.
Kei Kurono
Karma: 120
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
That's what am saying
the only logical explanation for someone to pick those is
if he himself is not very knowledgeable in 3D and doesn't understand things like " Composition, Lighting, or...Realism in general"
I hate to be that guy but this one is very blatant I implore everyone to skim through all the entries and genuinely with a straight face
tell me the first and second entries both deserved to be their go-ahead I'll wait.,
and don't get me started on some of the honorable mentions.
now am I butt hurt because I didn't win absolutely, but this isn't just about me, this is honestly embarrassing. you can at least follow the guidelines you set for the competition.
artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
Got to agree here, I said the exact same thing to someone on here today about 1st, in those choices 3rd was by far a better piece and actually rendered well, tons of effort put into it and its quite a big scene to pull of what was asked for as in atmosphere.

Personally I think the idea won and not actually the quality
artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
@ K3DDesign

Got to disagree here on the use of Daz assets only, give an upper hand, previous contest have had winners who created their own 3D models.

Thing is its the overall look at the end of the day, ive mentioned before that the technical aspects & following what was asked for, sometimes are 100% void of what is chosen and only visually appealing to whom judged it.

Then again someone can create something from scratch but that shouldnt also default an advantage if the final image isnt WOW..
Sadly on the other end of the spectrum some REALLY simple, not rendered well 'just pick 3 assets and press a button' entries, have won.
artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
Simple fact is every contest there WILL be winners and losers, those who are happy their minimal effort won them cash and those who put a lot into their entry that came no where..


Just wish those that actually win in contests are GOOD and rendered well, clean, stick to the theme and are deserving of it.. I mean can when picking these, people NOT see how grainy and unclear they are? or how flat the lighting is?


K3DDesign
Karma: 410
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
Not saying that I'm not petty I didn't win haha
I'm saying the winning entries are an insult to art in itself. As I mentioned in a now-deleted post; presenting others' work as your own is plagiarism, maybe not in a legal sense if it's transformative enough, but in an artistic sense.
I'm not an artist per se so I don't have much authority to speak on this but I do know that drawing a mustache on the Mona Lisa doesn't make it our art piece.
K3DDesign
Karma: 410
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
your*
Kei Kurono
Karma: 120
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
@CurvedInsight I feel like to win you at least have to stick to the main theme and don't miss any of the rules too much you don't have to model everything by yourself ofcourse not just make a good render with good lighting and composition tell a story but no they picked the one with the worst lighting, grainy render, non existing composition , no story, but there is assets if you know what I mean so.....
OkmijunWed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 168
Next time call this contest DAZ3D sponsered contest, so we all know what is about!
Placing DAZ3D models in snow and fog will make you the winner!
No story, no massage....nothing to read between the lines....

Remind me on Merry Christmas postcards from 1960s....

When I remember works from CGTalk, these renders make me sick.
Honestly, you made fools from us, who took seriously this contest.
Good luck to everyone!
Kei Kurono
Karma: 120
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
can not agree more
where is the story, composition...etc, creativity, and Technical skills?
like on one of the renders the lighting is so bad I can't see how an artist could ever miss that.
but hey am going to stop because this is really triggering me WOW!
OkmijunWed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 168
next year winner!

Forum Image
Kei Kurono
Karma: 120
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
and the theme is Winter, Fantasy, Monster, and No 2D drawings
Kei KuronoWed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 120
can we at least know who are the judges? or is it confidential? Are they even artists? 
I just really want to see their work, and next time hopefully there will be some community vote during the process. 
BRAHIM39
Karma: 142
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
seems like it's manipulated

BRAHIM39Wed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 142
THIS IS RIDICULOUS!!!
What kind of mushroom you guys have been taking, with all my respect to the first and second place but I can't even tell that it's a fantasy themed artwork especially for the first place it's not even winter themed, the guy in the third place deserved to win all the first prize and don't let me start talking about the honorable mention section, three days of delay and then you come up with this unfair judgment!

artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
lol dude... where i do agree with some of what users are pointing out what isnt cool is implying everything except 3rd was trash, sure if one is Artist of the year 5 times in a row and has art that is WOW have an ego to be able insult others (still not cool though)

You do realize by stating things you are, your own entry doesnt even have a crew onboard ?
BRAHIM39
Karma: 142
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
First of all I didn't say that other entries are trash, I didn't even say that they look bad, I said that I can't see the "fantasy" touch around any of them
Secondly, I didn't even mention my entry and I never said that I deserve to win, I just feel like the judges (probably DAZ 3D related) ignored mostly every entry without the DAZ 3D UI screenshot in the thread and the 3rd place was too good to be ignored so they gave him the third prize anyways.
Lastly I don't know you got triggered by my complaints and other artists complaints as well XD I'm not insulting anyone.
artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
Nah wasnt triggered, did also say I agreed with what most are saying about the quality of what was picked. And if youve been around a while, one will notice there many great winning worthy entries that dont even come somewhere, its just how the cookie crumbles.

My bad, just thought you were implying that

BRAHIM39
Karma: 142
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
No worries bro, it is what it is, It's sad cz I'm sure that some artists spent a lot of time putting their artwork together for this contest, take Kei_Kun as an example his submission looks like a cut scene from Elden Ring and he didn't make it to the honorable mention category, I wish that they can change the judging system and let the community decide who is the best.
antony1Wed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 240
You have to see the humour in it.
I'm quite sure it was just a (not so) funny joke. The real decision comes tomorrow!

Okmijun
Karma: 168
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
hahahah! you made my day bro!
hahahah! you've just made me laughing, seriously!
yeah, indeed, those honorable mentions and 1st and 2nd prize
really looks like a joke...
3rd prize has a story, has that "something" vibe
but all others are just empty renders,
as I said they remind me on vintage postcards...

K3DDesign
Karma: 410
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
An out of season april fools joke istg
Kei_KunWed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 129
is it just me or do most of the winning entries Use DAZ Studio? Next time you should include that in the rules. ( unwritten rules ) 
what's up with that 
this is kinda of cringe ngl, I don't feel some of the winning picks were deserving definitely not the first one nor the second wow! 
I feel embarrassed on the judges and the organizers behalf and all of the 3D Art Community Wow. both of mine didn't make even the honorable mention. 
they couldn't have picked a worse entry. just a couple of models and assets matched together and don't get me started on the grainy render. 
I'll be readying my DAZ Studio assets for next time.  also are we all sure the Theme of this challenge is FANTASY?! Who knows.....
BRAHIM39
Karma: 142
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
That's exactly what I'm saying!!!
artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
Dont forget to leave the denoiser off!! and keep your lighting as flat as possible
artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
or put lights in your scene that dont even match the scene's environment, add those 3 aspects together and youll be on the right track lol
Kei_Kun
Karma: 129
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
this is frustrating
the dream scenario right now is for a judge
to make a post justifying their decisions or at least their thought process
but I know nothing will come out of it we are talking into the ether.
DClaw
Karma: 1,315
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
Someone (maybe CurvedInsight) told me a couple of months back that winners are likely chosen at random. Nothing I have seen in the last three contests has proven to me otherwise. I would love it if there would be some comments from "judges" about the choices they made. I would love it if there were comments on my stuff (which didn't win this time) about why it wasn't chosen so I could try and do better next time. But whoever is choosing seems to have their own criteria which is somewhat different than the posted criteria, and no one at RenderHub in the last 6 months has indicated that they care about any of the continually expressed concerns and complaints about lack of transparency in judging.
DClaw
Karma: 1,315
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
I am less disturbed by the use of Daz 3D (especially since I use Daz software) as I am about how an image (a nice image, to be sure) of a reindeer which is winter but isn't really fantasy in any way, contains four objects and a 2d background, and is a 2nd version of another prior entry wins an honorable mention in a contest where the published criteria include originality, technical ability, with consideration for the difficulty and complexity of the work. It's a fine render, but doesn't seem to me to fit what RenderHub has published that they are judging by. If they want to pick winners at random, fine. They should say that. If not, there should be a a published rubric by which renders are scored, in my opinion. That way everyone (including the artists themselves) can see why the ones that end up at the top are there and why the others aren't.
DClaw
Karma: 1,315
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
By the way, in case anyone from RenderHub actually reads these posts and cares about these issues, I'd be happy to help construct such a rubric. Message me. I'm glad to help.
artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
@ DClaw

1stly, greetings

I think it may have been me who mentioned something along those lines.

Even though hearing from judges would be a nice idea, I dont think seeing how things turn into a witch hunt over the results often, would be a"safe" choice to put yourself in front of 300+ users as why you picked what you did and didnt.. Also that would take ages to do over 300 entries each as to why.

The point system ive brought up before as well, its a great idea where you could have 4 Categories which are in the criteria based on a point system of 1 out5 rating for each and then total added up.

Technical Ability :
Theme :
Quality:
Overall Look:

Would be great if this system was setup for the registered users (with maybe a certain amount of Karma) to be allowed to partake in this but in reality thats a tricky fish to catch as Ive seen a user voting system, a few times on other sites go South FAST..

Their friends vote because they friends, people created new accounts & used VPNS.. It was a disaster.


DClaw
Karma: 1,315
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
I totally agree about the crowd voting. Way too easy to manipulate it.

I also get the enormity of trying to give feed back for 300+ entries, but theoretically, at least, each piece is being evaluated anyway. It wouldn't be that much to make a sentence comment for each as you go.

I mean, let's say you have a fillable PDF form that has the rubric on it. Personally, I would do a 5-section rubric. Based on the existing published criteria, I would probably do Theme, Creativity, Technical Ability, Difficulty, Overall Composition.. I would do each section on a scale of 0-10, too, for easier differentiation among so many entries, making 50 possible points. The judge scores the thing based on the categories, totals it up, and then writes a sentence or two at the end conveying one or two thoughts about the piece, what they really liked, or how it could have been better. Save the file, put them in order of high score to low and Boom! Winners are right there,. Then you send the the score sheet with comment for each piece out to its creator afterward.

I think just that would do so much to alleviate the irritation afterward. People might not like or agree with the score or comments they got, but at least they'd know why the weren't at the top or where they sat in the grand order.

Something resulting..."Oh, I got 31 out of 50. I was really high on theme and the overall composition, but the judges felt that the piece was pretty simplistic. Okay, so next time I'll try to do something a little more complex," would be great!

Then RenderHub and these contests would be helping to improve the artistry of its users, and there would be a real tangible benefit for everyone who entered, not just the winners. That would be something that would certainly make me want to come back over and over again to the site and to the contests...if it were actively helping me to be a better graphic artist. And there would be transparency about the results (assuming total point scores were posted alongside the winning entries). I don't think it would be that much work to do, either, not if each entry is actually being evaluated already. RenderHub and its staff just have to want to do it.
millerblaineWed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 4,053
Psssst.  Just to lend a little balance. Since there seems to be a lot of whining about DAZ. Yep, nice assets. Yep you can purchase them.  You could also purchase from turbosquid or a bunch of other places. You can model your own stuff. So many ways to skin a cat. One might think since DAZ is deemed such a lowly tool, that it would level the playing field, and therefore it would come down to what you do with it. Yes, there are a lot of DAZ entries. There are other apps in use. And just because you dump a lot of effort into something (be it daz, or blender or marvelous Designer, Maya, C4D, blah blah blah) doesn't necessarily equate to a nice outcome, but you do get an A for effort. A contest or two ago, was a fashion contest. A lot of folks were using Marvelous designer. I haven't the foggiest notion of how to use it, but I didn't need a cry towel because of it. Don't like the way these kids, play, take the ball and go to a different court. No. I didn't win. Do I necessarily agree with every decision? - It doesn't matter, because I'm not a judge. Is it a good way to generate a portfolio piece? Possibly. Might someone else in a different venue appreciate your efforts?  Possibly. Do you learn something new when you are creating an image? Possibly. Yeesh already. Breathe in. Hold. Exhale. 
ahsann
Karma: 241
Wed, Jan 17, 2024
I mean the piece of Santa boxing Krampus, absolutely amazing like genuinely he modelled, sculpted and rigged every character there and went through so much effort visible in the WIP pics, and he didnt even get an honourable mention forget the top 3. You take a look at it yourself and tell me he didnt deserve a win, appalling. I personally submitted quite early so didnt get to see some of the real good renders, but when I did I was completely set on this guy deserves the win way more than me, congrats to you. Only to see recycled pieces everywhere in the winners.

So Im not even pissed my piece didnt get picked, just that the effort of so many has been thrown to the way side, its a mockery of the 3D artists who actually care.
Kei_Kun
Karma: 129
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
good one!
anyway if low effort is what the judges want to promote
Low effort is what they are going to get
DClawWed, Jan 17, 2024
Karma: 1,315
Guess I didn't win the lottery this time. Congrats to all who did.
BRAHIM39
Karma: 142
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
lottery XD
K3DDesign
Karma: 410
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
Might be a good strategy just to flood the contest with low effort renders and increase the wheelspin chance.
artist
CurvedInsight
Account Closed
Thu, Jan 18, 2024
lol that didnt work for the 20+ entries from one
BRAHIM39Thu, Jan 18, 2024
Karma: 142
I've seen contests with lots of entries, take pawnisher challenges as an example, the judges go through all the entries in a two hours  long video, I think RenderHub is not taking these contests seriously.

Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account