Password

reset my password
closeJoin RenderHub
Existing Members Login Here.
Email Address (we never share this)
User Name
Password
Retype Password
I acknowledge that I have read and agree with the RenderHub Terms of Use.
closeLogin Help
Enter the email address you used to sign up and we will send you a link to reset your password.
Email Address
You should recieve the email within a few minutes, be sure to check your spam box for the email.
RenderHub
3D Modelsmenu
meshModel Categories
People
Anatomy
Animals
Insects
Plants
Food
Clothing
Buildings
Furniture
Appliances
Cars
Motorcycles
Aircraft
Boats & Ships
Military
Weapons
Robots
Sci-fi
Technology
Movies & TV
dazDaz Content
Characters
Clothing
Footwear
Hair
Poses
Morphs
Props
Accessories
Shaders & Skin
Mature Content
How To Sell 3D ModelsGalleryForumLearningWallpapersMy Feed
HOME|FORUMS|CHARACTER DESIGN CONTEST

Hummingbird (CLOSED)

Mon, Oct 26, 2020
CarlCG
United States
THIS JOB HAS BEEN COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY AND IS NOW CLOSED
Hummingbird

Mon, Oct 26, 2020
CarlCG
United States

There is no date.

Time is void.

We are not in the future.

We are here in the now.

Yesterday never was.

Tomorrow has arrived today.

A hummingbird flaps its wings,

Feeding from the flower to nurture the internal seed.

A seed encased in armored shell is delivered to it's new womb of woven woods.

(For the delicate nature of the concept premise, I chose to Illustrate it with pencil and paper rather than digitally)

Mon, Oct 26, 2020
CarlCG
United States

The nested cradle though provides no protection from outside forces that could interrupt it's developmental cycles and natural growth.

Genetic alteration, induced mutagenesis, organic wetware implantation used for cognitive and mechanical enhancement, cross-species splicing..... All factors if the right hands reach this unprotected nest.

The cold varisilicone fingertips of the transhuman neuromechanical experimental scientist clasp the encased seed gently, ever so careful not to damage the outer shell casing yet...  removing it from it's nest.

Mon, Oct 26, 2020
CarlCG
United States

The egg scrambling begins.

Mon, Oct 26, 2020
CarlCG
United States

imageimage

Mon, Oct 26, 2020
CarlCG
United States

imageimageimageimage

Mon, Oct 26, 2020
CarlCG
United States

imageimage

Mon, Oct 26, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

DANG! Your back story sounds super cool, and the scrambled egg looks like it's going to be delicious!  :-)  

I'm happy to see you decided to join the contest. Thanks for participating!  

Wed, Oct 28, 2020
CarlCG
United States

Thank  you so much Foxy3D, I appreciate the invite and motivation to jump in. The competition is staggering though I'm shaking lol. It is awesome to see all these other entries, so much creativity and inspiring work, some are just mind blowingly awesome.

Wed, Oct 28, 2020
Moxi
artist

That’s tight !!!!!

Thu, Nov 05, 2020
CarlCG
United States

Thanks so much Moxi!

Thu, Nov 05, 2020
CarlCG
United States

An update to the character and outfit. I still have a long way to go on this but wanted to post this because I’m not sure if I’ll be able to complete the contest due to scheduling complications the next few weeks with my job.

I think I’ve at least got most of the way done with the main sculpting and musculature of the figure. Skin details will need to be added though. 

The rigging I did on the outfit will need to be adjusted as I can see some irregularities and deformations occurring from posing. I got some of the texturing done, though the outfit still needs a lot of further refinement and baking out details at higher res. I plan to redo the lower torso area, and add trim to the edge. The previous blocky shaping I sculpted on the lower body I ended up scrapping and completely redoing.

I was debating whether to do a helmet design or hair but decided I wanted to keep the face visible for the eyes and expression since I did facial rigging. I haven’t done a lot of hair/grooming in the past but I think I got it to a point I’m satisfied with. If there’s time, I’ll continue refining the eye details and textures some more. 

The weaponized/armored wings that I posted previously is pretty much done, but still have to texture.

Really hoping and planning I can continue working on this. 

Thu, Nov 05, 2020
CarlCG
United States

Thu, Nov 05, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

With the way she's looking, I really hope you can keep going, too!

Good luck with your other obligations. I hope they are smooth sailing...  :-)  

Fri, Nov 06, 2020
CarlCG
United States

Sat, Nov 07, 2020
Cactus3D
United States

Hello, wings are cool, but its same as here - https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZEOQm">https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZEOQm 
this 3d model was stolen from the author a long time ago and posted for free access, maybe you just thought it would be cool to add other people's elements to your model

Fri, Nov 20, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

CONTEST ENTRY DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15, 2021

Some contest participants have been giving feedback that they may not have time to complete their projects, or may have to take shortcuts to make the November 30th deadline. 

To relieve some of this anxiety and give artists more time to do the quality job they want, RenderHub has decided to extend the entry period deadline to January 15, 2021. 

We thank you all for participating! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  

Mon, Nov 23, 2020
ioflow
artist

Erm... I'm not really convinced this model is made from the one you linked to on artstation Cactus3D.
In fact I'm having trouble finding any points of commonality between the two...

Looks good CarlCG

Sat, Nov 28, 2020
RxLnx

Dear CarlCG,

Great concept and excellent model (WIP) ... interesting (good) inspiration.

I agreed with ioflow, having taken a close look at the images and meshes.

Not the same (by a long shot).

CarlCG's work is genuinely and authentically different.

Some confusion can arise (Cactus3D) due to the built-in tools, effects and shaping-moulding defaults in applications/programs ... particularly when it comes to body armour and associated geometry. Initially (same tool preset/base) shapes may look the same; then they change/develop as the artist builds his or her model.

Really - if we go back 300 years - it is like two master artists starting a canvas, using oils, and a 3/4" stiff hog's hair brush to do base background shaping of a similar subject or model.

The similarity comes from the outliner brush (starts and ends there). Further work using other tools, other paint-mixes, etc., turn the artwork into two distinctly different items.

The parallel here is more relevant than might be first thought/understood.

Many grandmasters ran schools. Their students did copies or interpretations of past/current GM projects - while immediate understudies frequently did 'roughs' (sitting/setting guides), while the GM's were doing a sitting (for later reference); then later on filled-out that sitting/setting to try to attain an understanding of their teachers style and brush work.

Fast forward to the current day and the World's top art centres/museums - much work is done authenticating artworks attributed to grand masters. Many borderline assessments establish the art work/canvas under consideration was in fact an understudy, assistant or student.

The closer it is to genuine, the greater the forensic style ... which in the nearest of contrasts comes down to a detailed analysis of how the brush strokes tracked - not if it was the same type of brush.

Compliments to Catus3D also - for being vigilant. 

"Evil thrives - when good men (and women) remain silent".

In the art world, as in academia, the intellectual property of the individual creator is reliant on the greater community calling out and being heard. It is good folks like Catus3d are keeping a watch.

~ As usual ... just observing.

Rick.

[Qu. What is the difference between a pre-ink line-out using an "F" or "H"/"2H", and why do perfectionists prefer the "F"? (old school techniques/manual drafting).]

YouTubevimeoArtStationDeviantArtredditInstagramfacebooktwitterPinteresttumblrCGSocietyBehanceLinkedindribbble