Password

reset my password
closeJoin RenderHub
Existing Members Login Here.
Email Address (we never share this)
User Name
Password
Retype Password
I acknowledge that I have read and agree with the RenderHub Terms of Use.
closeLogin Help
Enter the email address you used to sign up and we will send you a link to reset your password.
Email Address
You should recieve the email within a few minutes, be sure to check your spam box for the email.

RenderHub
3D Modelsmenu
meshModel Categories
People
Anatomy
Animals
Insects
Plants
Food
Clothing
Buildings
Interior Design
Furniture
Appliances
Cars
Motorcycles
Aircraft
Boats & Ships
Military
Weapons
Robots
Sci-fi
Technology
Movies & TV
RPG Models
dazDaz Content
Daz On Sale!
Characters
Clothing
Footwear
Hair
Poses
Morphs
Props
Accessories
Shaders & Skin
Mature Content
3D On Sale!How To Sell 3D ModelsGalleryForumLearningWallpapersMy Feed
HOME|FORUMS|CHARACTER DESIGN CONTEST

Cyberpunk Female Gladiator (CLOSED)

Fri, Nov 06, 2020
Olisoda
United States
THIS JOB HAS BEEN COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY AND IS NOW CLOSED
Cyberpunk Female Gladiator

I've been doing character modeling for about a year now(before I was in the rapid prototyping field), and I wanted to test my skills. I guess I am starting a bit late, but it's gonna be fun going against the clock! With so many good submissions already, its gonna be tough!

My Idea:

Corporate sponsored blood games. Cheering crowds. The grand stage! With cyberpunk around the corner, I thought it would be a fun theme to work around!image

Also this Ak-47 from CS-GO was a big inspiration. Nascar like sponsorships on a badass female gladiator. 

Now here's my first couple of WIP Pictures:

My drawing pad was on the fritz so I'm not gonna do any concept art. I'm just kinda wing it.

I'm starting with a basic female form that I made a while back. Also since I had to choose between Substance painter and Zbrush(I ain't made of money lol), I'm gonna be using Blender for all of the modeling aspect.

Fri, Nov 06, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

Awesome - sounds like fun!

Thanks for joining the contest. Can't wait to see how it turns out.  

Mon, Nov 09, 2020
Olisoda
United States

Just an update with a sculpt of the female form so that I can build around it. The hand and feet are going to be replaced so I only sculpted out what I needed shape wise.

Next I'm going to start sculpting out the clothing and armor stuff around this.

imageimageimage

Fri, Nov 13, 2020
Olisoda
United States

I'm here with an update! I got carried away with the whole build process. Kinda like that having fun, don't check the clock sort of feel.

For the sculpt I had to cut the models apart with some overlaps. It was terrible trying to sculpt with 2 million+ Faces. Right now I am just working on the base body of the character. Armor pieces and clothing is gonna be built out later after I have all this retopo'd.

imageimageimageimage

I was gonna go with a sculpt for the leg prosthetics but opted for a hard surface approach using polygon editing.

Retopology of the base body: 

Hard surface build of the legs:

Now you guys are all caught up with where I am!

Tue, Nov 17, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

Fantastic! Thanks for the awesome WIPs. 

Fri, Nov 20, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

CONTEST ENTRY DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JANUARY 15, 2021

Some contest participants have been giving feedback that they may not have time to complete their projects, or may have to take shortcuts to make the November 30th deadline. 

To relieve some of this anxiety and give artists more time to do the quality job they want, RenderHub has decided to extend the entry period deadline to January 15, 2021. 

We thank you all for participating! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.  

Thu, Dec 03, 2020
Olisoda
United States

I finished the mechanical leg. All the parts are UV mapped but I am going to paint everything together in one go.

imageimage

What it looks like assembled:

imageimage

I'm so happy the time got extended. Things went wrong when I started work on the arms of this model that set me back alot! I'll explain more in the next post.

Thu, Dec 03, 2020
Olisoda
United States

I took the arm from the retopologized character and cut out the parts that were mechanical. Making it look "scifi".

I added the pins that would hold the synthetic material. It would help with the sculpting.

I sculpted where the cloth material would pull on the pins and where they would catch onto the mechanical parts of the arm. I was going for a vacuumed look with a bunch of excess material.

imageimageimageimage

Currently I am going through doing retopology. Lots of wrinkles and I want to make sure all the detail is preserved. Its not gonna be a pretty mesh.

So on to the problem that I had. During retopology, Blender crashed over a dozen times. Several times it would revert me back to an older save hours before. I found out it was to do with making a polygon(connecting four vertices into a face) while also auto saving. Clicking F to make a polygon right at the same time blender autosaved would corrupt the auto save. When it crashed it would send me back to the last MANUAL SAVE. I retopologized the hand 3 times before I figured that out. Hours and hours of retopology, just ouch...

Well the solve was to turn off auto save. I set an alarm on my computer to remind me to save every 15 minutes.

I got a finger left to retopo then its onto other things!

Thu, Dec 03, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

SWEET! Those are great WIPs. Thanks for sharing!  :-) 

Sorry to hear about those troubles, but glad you found a fix.

I'm also happy to hear the deadline extension is helpful for you. 

Sat, Dec 26, 2020
Olisoda
United States

Sorry for the  radio silence!

Busy work life, plus holidays it really gets to you. I tried to squeeze in time to work on this here and there.

So with this first image, I am already quite far past this. I wanted to show what the base for the sculpt was.

I would go through cut into the base, raising or lowering what ever I needed. I'm still learning how to sculpt the surfaces into something flat. For now I am using the crease tool and the pinch tool to try and get the corners sharp. With the dynamic topology set to constant detail I can set how dense the faces are. When I get the basic shape I am going for, I raise the detail level to keep the edges when I sculpt other stuff.

I changed the veiwport material so you can see the sculpt and the body it goes around.

imageimage

I don't have much reference material so alot of the sculpting was done until it looks cool, or retopologizing it would be easy.

And this was the retopology, The red lines was the seams for when I start texturing. With the retopology I started with where the sculpt met the character model. So I had an outline at the intersection that I filled in using the character mesh as a surface to draw on. Then its regular old retopology. No problems with lost data this time!

I went and added details that I thought would physically need to be seen. Coolant lines, flaps for control, Air intake, straps, Neck support, and Heat protection.

The straps and coolant lines were made with curves that I extruded out then converted to regular meshes. Every thing else was basic polygonal editing.

imageimage

Sat, Dec 26, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

You provide some really nice WIPs. It looks great!

Thanks for sharing, and Happy Holidays to you.  :-)  

Sun, Jan 03, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Thank you! I really enjoy talking about this kind of stuff so I like going into detail about my workflow. And happy belated holidays to you as well!

Sun, Jan 03, 2021
Olisoda
United States

I've been wanting to make a sci fi blade for awhile now, but wasn't really sure what I would use it for. so this contest afforded me the perfect excuse to make one!

As you can see I started with a image I found online. I threw it into Blender and traced out the overall handle shape. I didn't need the blade since I would make my own.

Well with the handle made, It was just a matter of editing basic shapes till it looked cool.

Sun, Jan 03, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Adding some more detail. The belt was made using the path tool. The pouches started out as cubes, I used the subdivision modifier at the same time as editing as well. Just kept using edge loops until satisfied. 

Also added cloth sim in for the half skirt and shoulder drapes(not pictured here).

Being a gladiator, she needs a shield. The shield is projected outward, also where it projects from is where her blade resides when not in use.

Being its the future, arm screens are everywhere.

Sun, Jan 03, 2021
Olisoda
United States

With modeling done I needed to unwrap the UV.

Blue lines were marked for beveling. Since there aren't any perfectly sharp corners in the real world, beveling looks good. Also works better than just adding a bunch of loop cuts.

Red lines marked the seams for where the face turn into islands in the UV editor. I always go for more Islands, I hate dealing with warping issues.

Here are my islands.

I like to keep things organized so its easier to find later. The parts of the mesh that will be skin are kept to the left, while the more mechanical bits are kept to the right.

Sun, Jan 03, 2021
Olisoda
United States

*Sobs uncontrollably*

This was hell. I had some real pain in my fingers and neck. Also my back and rear fused to my seat.

I tried really hard not to think of all the unwrapping that I had to do when I was modeling this. 

Arm was easy though. There was only 13 islands per arm.

Oh the horror. I organized every single island, putting together a puzzle from hell.

The arms were kept to the top left. The foot to the top right and the knee/thigh connection under that. Under the arm islands were the structural base for the shin. The bottom contained what's left. 

I think this is the most dense UV unwrapping that I have done.

Sun, Jan 03, 2021
Olisoda
United States

So yeah after that las one I took a day off and did absolutely nothing.

This was a cake walk in comparison. Nice easy, discernable, large islands.

Drapes, Pouches, Belt were kept to the top. Main base of the Jump pack to the left. The center contains Cables, Air intakes and other little things. The left sits the flaps.

The bottom was left open for any future parts.

Nice and easy.

Sun, Jan 03, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Just some equipment stuff left over.

The Hud, Shield projector, Arm screen, and the blade.

The Blade sits top left, Handle and details to the top left. Hud in the center near the blades. Arm screen and projector to the right. lastly the cables are at the bottom.

Again left space incase I need to adjust or add something.

Sun, Jan 03, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Wow lots of posts for today!

I went for particle hair instead of cards for this project. I just recently learned how to do hair cards but I am definitely not confident in my process yet.

If it looks thin, its because theses are the parent strands. They guide where the children go when rendering and that's where you will get your volume.

I will hopefully be finishing up this project in the next few days since I'm moving and I don't think I will have any time afterward. 

Up next is going to be Texturing yay!

Tue, Jan 05, 2021
Foxy 3D
Administrator

Thank you so much for sharing such detailed WIPs and commentary. 

I am not a character designer, so following the progress of the contest entries is my favorite part. 

What a ton of work, but it looks like it's paying off nicely. Great job!  :-)  

Tue, Jan 05, 2021
Olisoda
United States

As I said before, I just love talking about this stuff. I could go on for hours!

Quick question though, How do I turn in the 3d part of the contest. I think I read in the questions forum that there was a link, but I can't seem to find it.

I'm not done yet but since I'm moving any day now I want to be able to submit it as soon as I can.

Thanks

Tue, Jan 05, 2021
Foxy 3D
Administrator

If you plan to sell your completed project here at RenderHub, then it can be uploaded through the vendor tools. 

If not, then the completed project files will only be required of the finalists. So if you are picked, you would just upload your project files to Dropbox, Google Drive, Mega, or whatever is convenient for you. We will give you a private way to communicate that download link so it isn't a public link.  

So when you're done, just in case you win, feel free to upload it somewhere. If you're going to be away from a means to communicate here, feel free to message me the link privately via site-mail here, and I will make sure to get it to the judges. 

Wed, Jan 06, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Okay thanks for the info! 

I think I will be able to turn in my WIP pictures and model in a couple of days. I already had to pack up my stuff so I hopefully have my contest entry ready next time I post!

Mon, Jan 11, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Hello again everyone!

I've moved and finally unpacked my PC. 

So after everything got UV unwrapped, I took it into Substance painter for texturing. This is my favorite part of the character creation process. Here you get to add the details that tell the story of the character. First I had to create some fictional companies that would exist in the world of my character. I thought about who would want to be represented in the future gladiator games.

The thought process started with the character that I have made. She's a High performance mechanical gladiator. So High performance- think of car companies or rocket manufacturers. Thats how Aerospark and Aftershock were thought up.

Macrohard is the opposite of Microsoft. They do the software side of the games.

Vanguard is a military branch.

The Japanese writing is because Japanese looks cool on tech. You can try and figure out what it says for yourselves.

2135 Carnage games it the event that she participates in. Also is going to be the focus of a short film that I want to make!

And Renderhub and Blender. I needed more companies and I thought they wouldn't mind.

I left extra space for more companies if I think of more.

Now with the sponsors thought up, onto the actual texturing.

I started first with the equipment first because it was fun. Also they don't have to match with the overall material choices or coloring.

The I work in a lower resolution because my computer chuggs a bit when I start stacking a bunch of layers.

This is the Shield generator, comes with a data hologram and a place to charge and holster her blade.

imageimage

The blade that was mentioned above:

I think I might change it to just the red color like the arm screen. I still gotta do some test renders before that though.

Mon, Jan 11, 2021
Olisoda
United States

As you can see I implemented the logos onto the outer bits of the armor and jumpack.

I am also going for a mid battle dirty and weathered look. Weathering, one of the greatest joys of texturing.

Oh the booster was fun to texture with the heat discoloration (not sure what to call it)

imageimage

Mon, Jan 11, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Now everything together with the base body.

I also took the weathering to her skin, where sweat draws lines in the dirt. Its a new effect for me, still needs some refining.

imageimageimage

Mon, Jan 11, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Here you can also start seeing all the layers that I had. Folders in folders...

The legs had a lot of inset faces and pieces. It was fun to think about where dust and dirt would collect, and where it would be brushed away. I was just going to use the Ambient Occlusion map to do dirt texturing but I thought it needed a more personal touch.

imageimage

More heat scorched booster tips!

Mon, Jan 11, 2021
Olisoda
United States

This is what the UV looks like textured. You can kinda see how I have the different sections organized.

imageimageimageimage

Mon, Jan 11, 2021
Olisoda
United States

here's just a couple more screenshots with things coming together nicely

imageimageimage

Mon, Jan 11, 2021
Foxy 3D
Administrator

I'm happy to hear that your move went OK. 

And man, that's a lot of new progress. Very cool!

Awesome details and great WIPs. Thanks for sharing.  :-)  

Wed, Jan 13, 2021
Olisoda
United States

I also made the shield and HUD. In hindsight I should've made them at the same time as the other hardlight equipment. I was going to make the shield with more surface area, but being she's supposed to be the agile type. I kept it small, used for protecting the face and possibly parrying attacks.

The texture setup for the shield. Kept it simple.

Wed, Jan 13, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Made eyelashes with the hair particles. The eyelashes are separate objects, made from the faces around the eyes. 

Wed, Jan 13, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Woo. Armature stuff!

I use a Armature addon called Auto Rig Pro(ARP). It's a great add on that gives you an easy rig to work with.

Being automated is great and all, but there is alot of weight painting that needs to be done after the first set up process. After setting up the initial points, and aligning all the bones. ARP will go through and bind everything to the rig using voxels. This gives you the broad strokes of where all the weight will be setup. I still have to go through and adjust all the weights.

This character is also a bit more mechanical than my older characters, with more individual parts. Just had to take some more time around to make sure everything moves nicely. 

I also made some of my own handles for some of the accessories that move or need to be adjusted independently of the base body. Those handles are colored green in the images. They include the directional flaps on the back, the cloth drapes, and pouches.

The handles that come with the addon work pretty well by themselves. Some pieces are adjusted to be easier to see or more distinct so when you are posing it isn't lost in all the noise of the other shapes. 

imageimage

Wed, Jan 13, 2021
Olisoda
United States

In the pursuit of realism, I added vellus hairs. I can't really find to many great pictures on what pattern they follow, so tried my best to match my own vellus hairs. It takes up a lot of memory when it comes to rendering as well. In these couple of WIP pictures, there is 2000 control hairs (Not counting hair on the head) and 65 interpolated children hairs. I was debating making these since its such a subtle effect for the amount of memory it uses.

Its not this noticeable in the renders.

Wed, Jan 13, 2021
Olisoda
United States

As I said, really really subtle.

Thu, Jan 14, 2021
Foxy 3D
Administrator

Sometimes it's the subtle touches that make a big impact. Looks great!

Thanks again for the great WIPs and commentary.  :-)  

Thu, Jan 14, 2021
Olisoda
United States

imageimageimage

Thu, Jan 14, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Story and lore:

Her gladiator name is the Crimson Blur. Lacking in the raw power that her opponents posses, she uses speed and agility to win her battles. Her Aerospike jump pack and supporting leg boosters give her the speed required. Her Equipment of choice is a Hardlight dagger and Hardlight Parrying shield.

Forced to into gladiator school at a young age. Her hope is to win the 2135 Carnage games so that she may win her freedom and make enough money to start a new life. In a world where brute force generally wins the day. She will win with precision and control.

Her favorite food is waffles.

Fri, Jan 15, 2021
Olisoda
United States

imageimageimage

Fri, Jan 15, 2021
Olisoda
United States

I want to thank RenderHub for this amazing opportunity, for giving us a platform for in which to compete with and to learn from our fellow 3d artists! Being self taught I am happy to be able to show off what I've learned these past few years. Not only that,  all the different types of workflows show 3d art is truly a great versatile field to work in. We can build anything we want! Thank you Foxy 3D for hosting this. It must've been exhausting work keeping tabs on all the submissions and answering our questions! Again thank you RenderHub for bringing together such a great group of artists!

Fri, Jan 15, 2021
Foxy 3D
Administrator

Yes! I'm so glad you were able to finish her. She really looks super cool!

I love the addition of her sponsors' logos. If her favorite food is waffles, I think Eggo should be her next sponsor addition.  LOL  :-)  

Thank you for participating, and for the fantastic WIPs and informative commentary. It has been a pleasure following your work.  

I'm just the contest host and won't be judging, but I wish you lots of luck!  

Sun, Jan 17, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Haha maybe I try and contact them and ask if its okay to use their logo! Thank you again for all your hard work!

Wed, Jan 20, 2021
dwindt

I was going to say, you lost me on the first poly. I'm still looking for that poly...lol.. Lovely work. She looks stunning.

Wed, Jan 20, 2021
Olisoda
United States

Thank you! Which WIP picture did you get lost on?

Sun, Jan 24, 2021
Foxy 3D
Administrator

In case you didn't see the official announcement, CONGRATULATIONS are in order!

Come see the winners announcement right here.  

Winners will get a private message from the owner of RenderHub soon so he can get your mailing address to ship out the prizes, and to request the download link for your project. 

Thanks for participating, and great job!  :-)  

Thu, Mar 04, 2021
RenderHub
Administrator

Congrats

YouTubevimeoArtStationDeviantArtredditInstagramfacebooktwitterPinteresttumblrCGSocietyBehanceLinkedindribbble