Password

reset my password
closeJoin RenderHub
Existing Members Login Here.
Email Address (we never share this)
User Name
Password
Retype Password
I acknowledge that I have read and agree with the RenderHub Terms of Use.
closeLogin Help
Enter the email address you used to sign up and we will send you a link to reset your password.
Email Address
You should recieve the email within a few minutes, be sure to check your spam box for the email.

RenderHub
3D Modelsmenu
meshModel Categories
People
Anatomy
Animals
Insects
Plants
Food
Clothing
Buildings
Interior Design
Furniture
Appliances
Cars
Motorcycles
Aircraft
Boats & Ships
Military
Weapons
Robots
Sci-fi
Technology
Movies & TV
RPG Models
dazDaz Content
Daz On Sale!
Characters
Clothing
Footwear
Hair
Poses
Morphs
Props
Accessories
Shaders & Skin
Mature Content
3D On Sale!How To Sell 3D ModelsGalleryForumLearningWallpapersMy Feed
HOME|FORUMS|3D MODELING

Creating environments / spaces / places (CLOSED)

Thu, Dec 03, 2020
tarqued
artist
THIS JOB HAS BEEN COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY AND IS NOW CLOSED
Creating environments / spaces / places

So what is the best way to create environments?

I do have Solidworks and would not have a problem making interior spaces in that program... but would not know what format to save them in.

Solidworks would not be good for outdoor spaces.

What program(s) do people use for this?

Thanks!

Thu, Dec 03, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

Hi again! You're in luck... There are some really nice tutorials right here on RenderHub:  

https://www.renderhub.com/forum/3d-tutorials

This guy is using 3ds Max:

https://www.renderhub.com/forum/268/how-to-create-a-bedroom-scene-using-3ds-max-and-vray

https://www.renderhub.com/forum/269/how-to-create-a-single-bedroom-using-3ds-max-and-vray

https://www.renderhub.com/forum/266/how-to-create-a-kitchen-scene-using-3ds-max-and-vray-in-30-minutes

And here are a few using Maya:  

https://www.renderhub.com/forum/603/house-modeling-in-maya-2020-made-easy-4-walls-floorplans

https://www.renderhub.com/forum/589/how-to-model-a-farmhouse-barn-in-maya-2020

https://www.renderhub.com/forum/587/3d-house-modeling-in-maya-made-easy-3-roofs

Don't forget about Blender. It's not only free, but very powerful, as well. 

The techniques used for other software can be incorporated into a Blender workflow, and there are TONS of Blender tutorials out there.  

I hope that helps!  :-)  

Fri, Dec 04, 2020
RxLnx

Dear Tarqued,

As Ms Foxy suggests 3DS is amongst the top picks, and the tutorials section has exceptionally good articles that do not stop at recommendations - rather suggest programs then demonstrate their use, rounding off with the advantages and disadvantages.

I would like to hear what Ikke46, 3D4U2C, RN83, Gwasanee, and several other of the top tier rendering champions here (with stand-out background, that do not necessarily stand-out, however are outstanding in light, shadow, mood and scene reality/relativity) feel are the best, easiest to use, or most flexible.

Maybe message them directly and ask?

Personally I prefer to work/save in *.obj format, because it has been a cross-compatibility standard for several decades; however technology and software development race ahead - while (bottom line) *.obj format is of the past. Detailed observations relating to the same are outlined in my recent reply to Mistercrow (see 3D job request - PS2 character); where I explain the issues/difficulties of cross-compatibility when trying to would with fringe patent/exclusive game render programs/formats ... that are fifteen to twenty years old (effectively dead - along with their file formats).

This gets a bit complex.

It involves a forward projection (aims/goals) of the marketing processes of the likes of DAZ and Smith-Micro. Ion asked me to write something on this (which I have been researching - both for that article, and some other {statutory} folks looking at it).

My assessment is their plan/desire is to commercially semi-own all work.art created by anyone using their software of format; because that is the logical extension of their directions/activities/behaviour  over the last twenty years.

Parallel might be the Music industry/agents corporate history (motivation and action). Dag (Daggerwilldo) is better placed to calmly discuss that (big laugh). Well maybe not that calmly - however it would be controlled, concise and correct (just ignore the loud teeth-grinding, as he talks about it).

These days good young aspiring artists get drawn-in, used, burnt, ripped-off, and then spat out in the thousands - but think back to Elvis, Beatles, Tina Turner, etc. The process is not new - just refined and mass production.

Where the likes of DAZ or Smith-Micro attain the same levels of control over free artistry, it follows the (present) future will mirror the Music Industry.

Autodesk (3DS) is clear of this at the moment; however DAZ/Smith-Micro have a business pattern and history of 'buying competition' - thus are not necessarily a safe long term open cross-compatibility standard to replace *.obj.

Frankly - for the present - I feel Blender is the future, only in part because it is open source.

Most important thing about Blender is that what you create in it/using it - is (legally) undisputably yours.

Secondly - and less well known - Blender is no-strings-attached, background development funded through a grant-setup from Epic Games. Guys and girls at Epic have been doing that for years to preserve an open-free creative platform ... Just as they have been fighting (and winning) against various corporate types who want the complete opposite.

Thus - if you want complete and undisputed ownership/control of your work/creation - choose to produce and render it through Blender.

Further suggestion -option is your smart phone or a 35mm digital camera. Folks here are not doing it yet, but there is no reason for not photographing a setting - then superimposing your figure into or onto it ...

Images below are just examples (was actually thinking room or building settings). These are either Fuji-pix CX  or Nikon D5/7500/D8 (can't recall - I use what I'm wearing/carrying) ...imageimage

Point being you could have a figure reaching out to touch the butterfly; or leaning against the tree/sitting on the branch/fishing ... then only need adjust your character lights to suit the real light of the background.

Cheers,

Rick.

[pix are legally/undisputably mine - freely shared. I was waiting for the butterfly to open its wings, but had to settle for it staying there (several minutes) and letting me get close ... BF was a Fuji. Fairly sure the river/tree was a Nikon 610M (both are 'travelling cameras'. The D's and CX are studio/session units - too expensive to risk abroad. Anyway - its the practice/concept that is important - not what cameras were used.]

YouTubevimeoArtStationDeviantArtredditInstagramfacebooktwitterPinteresttumblrCGSocietyBehanceLinkedindribbble