×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/THE ART OF LIGHT RENDER CONTEST

Spring Magic (CLOSED)

eye200
Fae3DThu, Apr 04, 2024
Karma: 483
A cute little puppy is sleeping in a field full of flowers, comfortable and quiet. Some faeries saw her, and thought that she could use some "decorations" to make her even cuter. So they wove together some flowers and put them on her like wreaths! I think she'll be rather amused when she wakes up _
This was a new kind of experiment with lighting for me. I tried to make it look like the sun was coming up behind the pup, and I made some of the flowers semi-transparent so that you could see the silhouette of the faeries hiding inside them. Of all things, I really like how the grass and the palm fronds turned out, lol!

Entry:
Forum Image

Wireframe:
Forum Image

Rendered in Daz Studio Iray.
Postwork in Pixelmator Pro.

Thanks for looking!


jamie6Thu, Apr 04, 2024
Admin: 14,430
Forum Image
Thumbnail for contest gallery
Fae3D
Karma: 483
Thu, Apr 04, 2024
Thank you! _
drjivagoFri, Apr 05, 2024
Karma: 12,987
Sooo sweet! (oops I should lower my voice, I might wake up the pup).
If you place little light sources inside the tulips with fairies, perhaps with glowing effect, the fairies may not only become apparent, but may also give some mystifying feeling, jmho : D It looks good this way as well, just in case you would like to experiment on this kind of thing in the future, thought it would be good to mention. Some light source behind the distant hills/mountains would also look great (kind of haze you get in sunset).
Fae3D
Karma: 483
Sat, Apr 06, 2024
Thank you! Yes, I tried putting the lights in the flowers, but I couldn't get it to work right. So instead, I put lights behind all the flowers to make the silhouettes show up. And you're right about the hills, I should have lit them up, I didn't think about it. Oh well, maybe next time, I'm still happy with how this one turned out!
drjivago
Karma: 12,987
Sat, Apr 06, 2024
You are right about putting the light in the flowers, because then it will drown the fairies in too much light. Light has to be somewhere behind the fairies but not far away the top of the flowers, so the light source makes a silhouette of the fairies, but then again it depends how much light is in the scene overall (you may need to adjust light values in correlation with the environment light). It may work out in one scene and not in the other one. Establishing a glow can be made by making the top of the flowers from light emissive material, this may make the flowers look like neon objects on the other hand and material details may be lost. So it is best to experiment and see what is good, with trial and error. I think placing a light in the background, behind the hills, will work out just fine, like you said. You can add some details or make fixes in your photo editing software like photoshop for an other option.
I hope you get some desired results with your intended renders in the future as well. Good luck and best wishes.
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account