×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/THE ART OF LIGHT RENDER CONTEST

The Solemn Grave of the Fallen King (CLOSED)

eye328
Thread Activity
VESPERSat, Jun 01, 2024
I'm glad you love Tolkien too, thank you for the kind words. BTW, This piece was different than the rest, it was more about legend, and atmosphere. Ma
HawawunarSat, Jun 01, 2024
Color and I are totally geeking out over our shared love for LOTR, and let me tell you, our 3D contest entry is giving off major Middle Earth vibesit'
VESPERFri, May 31, 2024
Best of Fortune to all the designers that participated and supported provided encouragement for this entry! I am humbled by the support!  ♥
jamie6Thu, May 30, 2024
it's better to pm...and we both operate together with the same function. :)
VESPERThu, May 30, 2024
Hey Jamie, would it be better to message you here or PM if I have questions? Also, is there a difference in who I reach out to, whether it be you or F
VESPERTue, May 28, 2024
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the volumetrics and composition. It means a lot to me that my work is one
VESPERWed, May 22, 2024
Karma: 1,417
Abstract:
As a devoted admirer of Tolkien's Legends, I am profoundly captivated by the intricate interplay of light and darkness that permeates his narratives. Tolkien masterfully weaves tales where the triumph of good over evil is never without significant sacrifice, imbuing his stories with a poignant depth. The epic battles and heroic deeds are always shadowed by a sense of profound loss, creating a rich tapestry of emotions that resonate deeply with me. This delicate balance between victory and sorrow is what makes Tolkien's works timeless and endlessly compelling, as they reflect the complexities of the human condition and the enduring hope that shines through even the darkest of times.

Story: 
In the heart of the dark mountain, shrouded in eternal twilight, lies the grave of the fallen king Cordius the Just, a legendary ruler whose reign was marked by both unmatched valor and heartrending sacrifice. Deep within the mountain's cavernous depths, a devoted knight embarked on a perilous journey, guided by the whispers of ancient prophecies. Upon reaching the hallowed tomb, the knight discovered the king's sword, planted firmly in the stone above the grave, its blade aged and worn of its timeless luster. In a solemn ritual of reverence and humility, the knight stripped completely, kneeling bare before the grave, as was the custom among those who sought to honor the great king's legacy. This act of vulnerability and respect symbolized their unwavering devotion, acknowledging the profound sacrifices the king had made for his people. With bowed head and bated breath, the knight grasped the earth he knelt on with deep anguish and reverence, feeling the weight of history and the spirit of the fallen king.

Construction:
This entry was completely modelled in Blender, lit in blender, and composited in blender, using heavy displacement heightmaps for the environment. With a few touch ups and texturing in Photoshop, the real challenge was to create something  solemn. The atmosphere is one that is permeated by shadows and light, that had do penetrate through an organic mesh filter built to create the Godray effect diffusion. There was little volumetrics needed. This is the first time I modelled the character and environment completely in Blender. 

I  hope people find it beautiful and epic. I used heavy displacement designed in Substance though for the ground texture more prominently to provide a grave that was not arrayed in Gold or Silver or Jewels, but true to the king, his humility is demonstrated that he wanted a secluded environment that few would ever find, made of stone and earth. I also felt a 16:9 was appropriate for this scene, since the pathway needed context of how ominous the journey to the grave was.

Please let me know if the image I rendered displayed the story I wanted to tell. as well leave your impressions, it is always great to get feedback, it both encourages and teaches me to be a better artist.

Vesper

Forum Image

Highlights

Forum Image

Wire Frame

Forum Image

Forum Image

Best of Fortune to all the competitors.


VESPERWed, May 22, 2024
Karma: 1,417
Here is the icon
Forum Image
s7sWed, May 22, 2024
Karma: 304
Nice one Vesper! Very moving image, quite cinematic, bathed in a glorious light and with a story attached. 
IMO, all the good ingredients are present in your piece. It is clearly visible you put in a lot of work, with an abundance of detail exactly where it matters.
One of my favorites so far...
VESPER
Karma: 1,417
Wed, May 22, 2024
Thank you so much for your kind words and encouragement! I was actually a bit reluctant to submit this piece because it felt more toned down compared to my other more provocative entries. Your feedback means a lot to me and reassures me that sometimes a different approach can still resonate deeply. I'm glad you enjoyed the details and the story behind it. Your support truly inspires me to keep exploring and pushing my creative boundaries.
Vesper
drjivagoWed, May 22, 2024
Karma: 12,987
Good story, accompanying a nice work build up here. It's good seeing something besides your darker monochrome themes, as this looks softened down. Using the scene completely is another good thing, as it gave depth to your render, whereas in other ones, you limited the  wider camera angle and made it focus straight on your subjects. In other words, this work is more of a compositon as you used the light distribution throughly, but well balanced and  with every object in the scene interacting with light including the person in the scene.
VESPER
Karma: 1,417
Thu, May 23, 2024
Thank you for your kind feedback! I'm glad you liked this piece. I wanted to try something different by using softer colors and showing more of the scene. Using a wider camera angle allowed me to add more depth and show how everything in the scene interacts with the light, including the person. I also focused on balancing the light across the entire scene to make it look more connected. I'm happy you noticed the change from my usual darker, monochrome themes, it was intentional. I wanted to try something new while still keeping the detail and quality of my other work (it is a different approach). Your feedback means a lot as I continue to explore my range and these different styles.

Vesper
HikkiJackThu, May 23, 2024
Karma: 743
I think it's will be epic win, Awsome job!
VESPER
Karma: 1,417
Thu, May 23, 2024
Thank you, I am glad you liked it, there are many great entries, I hope mine can make it to the finish line!
jamie6Thu, May 23, 2024
Admin: 14,430
Forum Image
Thumbnail for contest gallery
VESPER
Karma: 1,417
Sun, May 26, 2024
Thank you once again Jaime
jamie6
Admin: 14,430
Mon, May 27, 2024
no problem!
VESPER
Karma: 1,417
Thu, May 30, 2024
Hey Jamie, would it be better to message you here or PM if I have questions? Also, is there a difference in who I reach out to, whether it be you or Foxy for anything related to contests? Do you and she operate together in these contests with the same function? I have a couple of questions but I am not sure who to forward them to about the forum.
jamie6
Admin: 14,430
Thu, May 30, 2024
it's better to pm...and we both operate together with the same function.
j-ferreiraTue, May 28, 2024
Karma: 689
Very nice volumetrics and composition. One of my favourites for this competition
VESPER
Karma: 1,417
Tue, May 28, 2024
Thank you so much for your kind words! I'm thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the volumetrics and composition. It means a lot to me that my work is one of your favorites in this competition. This one was really a balancing act. Usually I work with a lot of poping contrast. This render was harder to achieve because of the focus on a limited palette of colors that were more earth tones.
Much Appreciated again
Vesper
VESPERFri, May 31, 2024
Karma: 1,417
Best of Fortune to all the designers that participated and supported provided encouragement for this entry! I am humbled by the support!  ♥
HawawunarSat, Jun 01, 2024
Karma: 130
Color and I are totally geeking out over our shared love for LOTR, and let me tell you, our 3D contest entry is giving off major Middle Earth vibesit's like Gandalf himself waved his staff and conjured our imagination into reality!
VESPER
Karma: 1,417
Sat, Jun 01, 2024
I'm glad you love Tolkien too, thank you for the kind words. BTW, This piece was different than the rest, it was more about legend, and atmosphere. Maybe that's what is striking about this. But rest assured Gandalf was not involved LOL!
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account