×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/WIP PROJECTS AND CRITIQUES

Blade Runner 4th Sector Quadrant 3 (model only) (CLOSED)

eye454
808stateFri, Sep 13, 2024
Karma: 6,471
Hey everyone!
I am going to take you behind the scenes a bit into how I'm making the 4th Sector series.
This is a shot of everything so far- Quadrants 1-3

Forum Image
This gives you a good idea how everything fits so nicely together!
All that's left is Quadrant 4. I'm in the process of texturing Quadrant 3 right now.

One thing I have really enjoyed about this project is studying the designs of Syd Mead and looking at architecture. With Quad 3, there really aren't references that are very useful, so most of this I had to invent from what I've learned so far.

Here is an apartment building that I think of as influenced by the same designers that created Deckard's apartment. I didn't use the same tile motif- but created something more simple and utilitarian.

Forum Image

If you notice those pillars there- they are very iconic to Blade Runner! I had to make sure they were JUST RIGHT and that turned out to be a lot of fun, though I had to learn some new tricks to pull it off.

The main building, next to these apartments, I'm thinking of as a mall. This is because I translated the japanese signs you can see in the film and they say things like "pens, bags, golf shoes"
(this is from the film)
Forum Image

This photo is one of the primary references there is for this section of the "city"/ film set. Not much to go on!
So here's what I came up with. I decided to make the shape of the building be more unusual.

Forum Image

My thought was that most of the buildings we see are typical "older" buildings from the 1890s- 1940s with a lot of "retrofitting" done to them and that this building (and the apartments) would be more of an example of the contemporary architecture of that time. In that sense, there's kind of an echo of the lines of the pillars to the lines of the building structure.

I haven't added the garbage bags, traffic lights, parking meters etc yet....but this gives you an idea at least. 
Here are some shots that would show you a bit of what the sectors combined are looking like!

Forum ImageForum ImageForum Image

If you made it this far- thank you! I really appreciate your support and any feedback you have for me.

808

 

Sylvain-AFri, Sep 13, 2024
Karma: 11,493
Well done : )
808state
Karma: 6,471
Fri, Sep 13, 2024
Thanks for saying that! Really glad you like it
V8InfiniteFri, Sep 13, 2024
Karma: 17,102
Wow impressive, good work
808state
Karma: 6,471
Fri, Sep 13, 2024
Hey thank you- I appreciate that! I'm excited to post the textured versions as I get those finished, too.
3ddasedTue, Sep 17, 2024
Karma: 3,402
Very well done. The texturing will take a while, and be worth it if the other two sectors are anything to go by. Looking forward to seeing it.
bonjTue, Sep 17, 2024
Karma: 15,437
Great to see your progress. Your work is top quality.  Looking forward to rendering all quadrants together and by then I will have a nice new rig to throw everything I have at it
Hannes WWed, Sep 18, 2024
Karma: 46,662
I will try to make some people to live there. A good figure of Rachael is here to find.

https://www.renderhub.com/xr71/rachael-for-g8

The rest will be done step by step
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Tue, Mar 11, 2025
Nice Rachel.
CrapeauMon, Feb 17, 2025
Karma: 102
You've done a man's job sir....
VulcanStarDrivesMon, Feb 17, 2025
Karma: 13,059
Very nice, quite impressed over here.  Excited to see what the last sector is like!
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account