×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/WIP PROJECTS AND CRITIQUES

Working on Isabella Displacement Maps (CLOSED)

eye238
Luxe MuseFri, Feb 21, 2025
Karma: 9,205
I'm still debating whether its worth the hassle. I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but it feels like DAZ is just inflating all the geometry regardless of the displacement values. The difference is pretty subtle, though.

With

Forum Image

Without

Forum Image

artist
COMIXIANTFri, Feb 21, 2025
Account Closed

There's not enough contrast in the greyscale image to create a notable displacement without effecting the whole thing, so in effect, what's happening is you're increasing almost eveything by the same amount.  To fix that, all you would need to do is increase the contrast of the greyscvale image, but personally I wouldn't even bother with displacement.  Personally I would use normal maps for that task (or even standard bump maps if you have no way to paint normal maps).

Either way, it's important to reslise that the amount dial can be used to adjust the effect, but to do that it needs to have some contrast in the greyscale image in the first place because it uses that as depth information.


Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Fri, Feb 21, 2025
I hear you. I’d already baked my normals, but I was messing around with baking displacement in Blender. Yeah, you’re right, though, the values are so close together that it just shifts the whole geometry visually. Gonna try to post-process the displacement and exaggerate levels, see if that gives me better results with your idea.
Digital Drapery CoSat, Feb 22, 2025
Karma: 21,543
Totally get your pointdisplacement maps can only do so much. In my experience, they just don't capture the refined depth and subtle nuances that HD morphs bring to DAZ. Those lip renders are a perfect example; the delicate detail and character they exhibit show that some effects simply can't be replicated by tweaking displacement values. It's all about that pristine, untouched art that speaks for itself. Keep rocking it, Luxe Muse!
Luxe Muse
Karma: 9,205
Sat, Feb 22, 2025
If only I had access to those tools! I love creating small imperfections and natural organic things, but they're stuck in my Blender files. Whether is via normals or displacements, there's just no way to accurately recreate them in DAZ without HD. frown Maybe one day DAZ will make that available to everyone; I've been waiting forever, but hopes the last thing to go, or so they say.
Digital Drapery Co
Karma: 21,543
Sun, Feb 23, 2025
I totally get it—those natural imperfections can be elusive without the right tools. HD morphs really capture the organic details that normals or displacements just can’t match in DAZ. Here’s hoping the tools catch up to our creative vision soon; until then, we keep pushing the boundaries!
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account