Password

reset my password
closeJoin RenderHub
Existing Members Login Here.
Email Address (we never share this)
User Name
Password
Retype Password
I acknowledge that I have read and agree with the RenderHub Terms of Use.
closeLogin Help
Enter the email address you used to sign up and we will send you a link to reset your password.
Email Address
You should recieve the email within a few minutes, be sure to check your spam box for the email.
RenderHub
Sell Your Models3D ModelsDaz ContentPrint Ready3D TexturesSkin ReferenceHDRI
Stock ImagesSound EffectsForumArticlesGalleryWallpapers
HOME|FORUMS|GENERAL DISCUSSION

Software recommendation please?

Tue, Jan 08, 2019
by 3DCG23

artist
Software recommendation please?

Hi, I have a question if anyone knows about the softwares for 3d modeling. I have been using daz for a while now and been having a good time with it.

I really want to start learning how to make my own things like props and stuff. I watch video tutorials and have download blender. It is ok but I don't feel like interface is very friendly. I have some money to spend on softwares but i want to make sure i spend it best.

Can someone recommend best one for newcommer like me?

Tue, Jan 08, 2019
by 3DCG23

artist

Oh darn  I see there is a area for 3d modeling. If mod wants to move this question there, it might be better. Thanks.

Fri, Jan 11, 2019
by SeXi3D

artist

I haven't tried these but someone suggested them to me a while back. Thery both free. Freecad and Sculptris. Sculptris is like a basic version of Zbrush to see what that's like. I hope that helps.

http://pixologic.com/sculptris/

https://freecadweb.org/

Thu, Jan 17, 2019
by 3DCG23

artist

Thank you for the links. I did see sculptris before. I do have money to spend so don't need just free programs I have blender.

Anyone knows about difference between maya zbrush 3dmax and cinema4d and have used them before? I been watching lots of vidoes and still cant decide. Thanks!!!

Sat, Jan 19, 2019
by 3Digital

artist

I am also interested in this.  I would also love to know about 3D painting recommendations too. Like Substance painter or 3D coat?

Tue, Jan 22, 2019
by darkart1

artist

@3DCG23 --- I only make simple props, so I haven't gone with any of the big software, but I use Silo. It's a powerful program for like 99 bucks. https://nevercenter.com/silo/

@3Digital --- I haven't used 3D Coat, so I can't give you a comparison. But I do use Substance Painter and I love it. 

Wed, Jan 23, 2019
by RenderFem

If the regular 2.79 version of Blender is doing your head in, which it does to the best of us, google for the 2.8 beta version.

If sculpting is in your plans the newer streamlined interface, left click selection and dedicated, cleaner sculpting interface may work better than the dog's breakfast they call 2.79

Fri, Jan 25, 2019
by 3DCG23

artist

Wow thank you darkart1 and renderfem. I didnt see silo before so i will check it out and i didnt know blender had new version. More work to do now! lolol

Wed, Jan 30, 2019
by artofher

artist

Thank you RenderFem, I did not know Blender had an update. Igave up on it a long time ago. Will have to give it another try. 

Thu, Feb 07, 2019
by SeXi3D

artist

I can tell you what NOT to try. Hexagon. I just tried it and its not fun. I think i will give blender annother try with the new update. 

Thu, Feb 07, 2019
by Ion
United States

Took me a while to get used to blender, but now I LOVE it, it is really powerful and best of all free :)

Thu, Feb 28, 2019
by 3D Centric
Australia

My Likes:

• If free - Blender - As to it's learning curve, put your mind, time and effort in to it and you'll be surprised how easy it actually is to use.
  • If paid - Cinema 4D ( which has an absolutely amazing user friendly interface), 3DS Max, Modo
  • Sculpting - ZBrush is King. If you have the Blender is difficult mentality then you'll have the same for this software

There are of course many others on the Market of which many are good, some average and others just plain CRAP! I won't say it out loud 'hexagon'

Fri, Mar 08, 2019
by 3DCG23

artist

Thanks evdryone again. I try new blender and its better. having fun now!!!

Sun, Sep 01, 2019
by francozero
Spain

blender rulez...  and i'm still working with 2.79 as i mainly work in blender interna to render.

true... i should start using blender cycles or eevee, but i'm so used to the crappy ui that i can't get my head around the nodes-thing...

i'm able to get just about any material, lighting and texture in blender internal but the node thing in cycles is a killer for me.

anyway, blender is an awesome tool... and it's free. i haven't found anything that could not be created in blender yet. learning curve is steep, but once you get the hang of it, it rocks...

Sun, Sep 15, 2019
by Handyman454
United States

I'll agree with the sentiments on Hexagon.
I learned the trade with Hex and eventually as my models advanced in complication and size I discovered that there are problems with Hex ui that make it a must to save anything you're doing every 10 minutes or so. Lest wise you lose all progress due to an internal conflict crash (blue screen as it used to me called).

Daz is run by children (or perhaps adults with childish minds) that have no foresight as to what they have.
They run a sex doll shop and Hexagon, what could have been a cash machine for them, is ignored completely.

The software hangs consistently, several of the tools create greater damage than help when used and worse yet, key tools don't even do what they're supposed to do sometimes.

The dolts that propagate the forum all point to "workarounds" as a defense. Sorta like a Dr who asks for a bone saw and his hospital board tells him they don't have one, "use an ax as a work around.. It work too".

The forum moderators live and breath the almighty Daz and start a thread with disparaging words regarding the Daz staff and you're instantly incommunicado.

My advice is don't learn on Hexagon. It'll screw up your head when you finally get so frustrated with it that you look for another software system.

Start with Blender. After you get it down, everything else is easier to learn.

Try Hexagon after you get good at Blender. You'll thank me for the advice.

Tue, Sep 17, 2019
by Max
Ukraine

For modeling I use ZBrush and 3ds Max, but for a powerful gaming industry it may be better to use the same ZBrush and Maya. IMHO.

YouTubevimeoArtStationDeviantArtCGSocietyfacebooktwitterInstagramPinteresttumblrBehanceLinkedindribbble