×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/WIP PROJECTS AND CRITIQUES

Sword / Knife that Morphs (CLOSED)

eye1,167
lukonSun, Mar 23, 2025
Karma: 8,496
I got a request to make a model of a long combat knife with a finger guard protrusion (shown in gold).

Well, rather than focus on just making one model of such a thing, I've been experimenting with makin' a morphable base model that can assume various shapes.

So far, I made the base model, and some morphs to make it look more like the requested long knife. More like it, but still quite far from it.

Forum Image

I don't really know whether an acceptable realistic model can be achieved by my plan here, but it has been a bit fun to try it so far.

VinceSun, Mar 23, 2025
Karma: 8,023
You're damn good with those solid objects.. I"m jealous. Hmmm , maybe this will encourage me to one more time... try to get my head around Blender. Looks nice Lukon !!
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Sun, Mar 30, 2025
Thanks, Vince.

Ya Blender is rough. I spent so much time learning the old interface they had back at 2.79, that I feel lost in everything since 3.00. I keep going back to 2.79 where I can work much faster.
Pushee-RiMon, Mar 24, 2025
Karma: 52,500
@lukon

Nice idea, indeed.
If you save the different shapes later as a shape preset, that should actually work. The morph sliders themselves could possibly lead to strange shapes if they are mixed or not set to 100%.

Good luck


@Vince

It's really worth getting to grips with Blender. I think you were planning on building character morphs??? If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. I'm still at the very beginning when it comes to characters ... but I might have a few tips
lukon
Karma: 8,496
Sun, Mar 30, 2025
Yes. Some morph combinations do produce things like self-collisions and stuff. Eeew. So presets would better guide the user to some popular options.
lukonSun, Mar 30, 2025
Karma: 8,496
More blade morphs, this time with a base shape that already has a pointed end.

Forum Image
artist
COMIXIANT
Account Closed
Tue, Apr 01, 2025

That squiggly one reminds me of a toy action figure accessory I had as a kid.
It's lodged at the back of my mind but I can't rememeber what it was - lol!

artist
COMIXIANT
Account Closed
Tue, Apr 01, 2025

Actaully, I think it might have belonged to a Lego figure!

lukonMon, Mar 31, 2025
Karma: 8,496
No morphing around this time. This model is dedicated to being a langes messer in the style of those fencing with them in the videos Vince showed me.

Forum Image

Got some "old metal" shaders on the metal. Got walnut wood shader on the grip.
lukonTue, Apr 01, 2025
Karma: 8,496
G8F Tinslea wieldin' it:

Forum Image
lukonSat, Jul 12, 2025
Karma: 8,496
And now the dedicated langes messer version is a freebie to download: https://www.renderhub.com/lukon/langes-messer-v1
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account