Password

I forgot my password
closeJoin RenderHub
Existing Members Login Here.
Email Address (we never share this)
User Name
Password
Retype Password
I acknowledge that I have read and agree with the RenderHub Terms of Use.
closeLogin Help
Enter the email address you used to sign up and we will send you a link to reset your password.
Email Address
You should recieve the email within a few minutes, be sure to check your spam box for the email.
RenderHub
Sell Your Models3D ModelsDaz ContentPrint Ready3D TexturesSkin ReferenceHDRI
Stock ImagesSound EffectsForumArticlesGalleryWallpapers
HOME|FORUMS|GENERAL DISCUSSION

3D Coat, Substance Painter, or other 3D painting program?

Fri, Feb 22, 2019
by 3Digital

artist
3D Coat, Substance Painter, or other 3D painting program?

I'm looking for some advice on 3D painting programs. I can apply my own procedural shaders to objects just fine, but I want to start learning how to create more irregular textures. I'm just getting started, so any advice you could give would be helpful. 

3D Coat and Substance Painter are what I've been watching videos on right now. Anybody have experience with these? Any other recommendations?

Thanks for any help you could give!

Mon, Feb 25, 2019
by NM3D
United States
artist

I've used Substance Painter quite a bit and have dipped into Substance Designer.

Substance Designer -> Create Materials

Substance Painter -> Paint your materials directly on objects in layers

Of course these are both expensive, but they both have trial periods to learn on.

One tool I've come across recently is ArmorPaint. Check it out for only $19. The interface is slimmed down from Substance but so far it seems to get the job done for what I need it.

https://armorpaint.org/

Tue, Feb 26, 2019
by weeray
Sri Lanka

Substance painter is great for highpoly and low poly texturing

Thu, Feb 28, 2019
by Desterotica

What paints across seams? I've used blacksmith3d but I have a hard time using the brushes in that program. 

Thu, Feb 28, 2019
by Ion
United States

Hey guys.

If you are doing skin textures, check out this method : https://www.renderhub.com/blog/how-to-create-photo-realistic-human-skin-textures

Hope you find it helpfull

Thu, Feb 28, 2019
by 3D Centric
Australia

As always any app is as good as the time you invest in it.  Check pricing and your budget; either of the apps you listed are great in their own right.

@NM3D, thanks for the link. Good to stay abreast of new developments.

@Ion, thanks for that tut. Appreciate it.

@Desterotica. As to painting across seams, both SP and 3DC. I've never used BlackSmith so not sure if there may be a better way. For me 3DC does make seam painting a bit easier.

Sun, Mar 03, 2019
by 3Digital

artist

Thanks for the help. I'm going to give 3D Coat a try.

Mon, Mar 04, 2019
by PsychoRobby

artist

I thought I might share this link with you all. Pretty interesting discussion about 3D Coat and ZBrush.

https://3dcoat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/20694-users-of-both-3dcoat-and-zbrush-their-strengths/

Mon, Mar 04, 2019
by PsychoRobby

artist

Wed, Mar 06, 2019
by JohnnyLuck777

artist

I don't have experience with 3D Coat, so I'm not going to try to talk you out of it. I use Substance Painter, and have found it very easy to learn. If you have experience using Photoshop and layers, you might have an easy time learning Substance. They have a free trial, so you can't lose. Best of luck to you!

YouTubevimeoArtStationDeviantArtCGSocietyfacebooktwitterInstagramPinteresttumblrBehanceLinkedindribbble