×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/CHARACTER DESIGN CONTEST

Character Design Contest : Questions & Answers (CLOSED)

eye1,398
Thread Activity
ravhunter555Sun, Jan 31, 2021
Thank you Foxy 3D  I received  message  from RenderHub ,  and also I submitted files .
Foxy 3DThu, Jan 28, 2021
@ravhunter555 - The winners should expect a private message from the owner of RenderHub soon requesting the download link and mailing address so he ca
ravhunter555Thu, Jan 28, 2021
Hi , please send me the link where I can send my files.
Foxy 3DWed, Jan 13, 2021
Character Design Contest Wrap-Up  Important info HERE IN THIS THREAD.  
Foxy 3DMon, Jan 11, 2021
@Ben5050 - Well ask, and you shall receive!  The owner of RenderHub has created a really nice video tutorial that may be just what you're lo
Ben5050Sat, Jan 09, 2021
Hello, this is actually the first time I'm participating in a character design contest or any 3d online contest :) so, I would like to know how I can
Foxy 3DTue, Jan 05, 2021
@PaVl - 1. You are allowed to have multiple entries. Just start a separate thread in the contest forum. However, you can only win once. 2. W
Foxy 3DTue, Jan 05, 2021
@Cleveyus - Sorry for the delay in my reply. I was waiting to hear details back from the owner on this. An FBX file with required textures would
PaVlSun, Jan 03, 2021
Questions:1. Is there a 1 character limit per artist? Or can artists submit multiple entries? 2. Is the 3D file required also or just WIP shots a
CleveyusThu, Dec 31, 2020
Can you give more details on this :DeliverablesOne completely original character model including geometry and textures as well as WIP and final render
RenderHubThu, Oct 01, 2020
Admin: 35,853
If you have any questions about the contest, this is the place to ask them.
ShafamThu, Oct 01, 2020
Karma: 232


I have a question about the challenge that just started today, for the final submission will the charachter need a story or lore? and if not why not add it to the rules it would be nice to see and read the origin of every character the artist will come up with.

Thanks,
Shafam
Foxy 3DThu, Oct 01, 2020
Admin: 59,523
Hi @Shafam. 
I'm pretty sure that a story or lore would not be *required* as part of the entry. 
However, since judging goes by creativity, originality and technical ability - that certainly may get bonus points for creativity.    
RenderHubThu, Oct 01, 2020
Admin: 35,853
YEs, back story can only increase the chance of winning, but it is not required.
ShafamFri, Oct 02, 2020
Karma: 232
Great, i cant wait to start with some concept  😃
RenderHubFri, Oct 02, 2020
Admin: 35,853
Excited to see what you come up with
ravhunter555Mon, Oct 05, 2020
Karma: 1,419
Thanks Renderhub for this wonderfull contest ,  very much excited to be part of this contest .

Have some queries  
1)   Is this contest open for all the regions of the world?  (Ex .  INDIA)
2)  I just wanted to make sure  that the  Characters  for the contest  can be  of  any race , any  style ,  hero, villain , fantasy, realistic , cartoony ??
3)  Polycount & Texture resolution for the character ???
4)  Can  I include  secondary (supporting ) character in the scene ????
5)  Which renderer should be used to render final image &  also  Render  resolution ?????

RenderHubMon, Oct 05, 2020
Admin: 35,853
1)   Is this contest open for all the regions of the world?  (Ex .  INDIA)
    - Yes it is.

2)  I just wanted to make sure  that the  Characters  for the contest  can be  of  any race , any  style ,  hero, villain , fantasy, realistic , cartoony?
 - This is correct, the character can be anything you can dream up. More realistic characters ma exhibit a harder level of skill to create which sill factor into the judging

3)  Polycount & Texture resolution for the character ?
 - Again, up to you. But better quality will be more likely to win.

4)  Can  I include  secondary (supporting ) character in the scene ?
 - Please limit the scene render to only the actual character entry.

5)  Which renderer should be used to render final image &  also  Render  resolution?
 - Final renders should be as high quality as possible, lower quality renders are unlikely to win. I would recommend 1920 x 1080 as a minimum resolution, but you can go bigger if you like (within reason) 


ravhunter555Mon, Oct 05, 2020
Karma: 1,419
Thanks for the quick reply
bizkit001Wed, Oct 07, 2020
Karma: 166
1. Do i just submit a render, ir is the project files required to be uploaded as well. 
2. Do the artist retain the rights to the submitted character
3. Can the artist sell the character on online markets after the competition is over. 
4. Will think of more questions as i go along... 

Kadaj777Wed, Oct 07, 2020
Karma: 10,174
Can you use any of the Daz Figures for creation or do you have to model it yourself?

Thanks!
Project EByMWed, Oct 07, 2020
Karma: 2,464
Hi, good day,

My question are:

¿Can be the character from my own gallery, or must be completly new?

-¿Must the character be made on Blender or related software, or we can use Daz Models?

¡Thanks!
Project EByMWed, Oct 07, 2020
Karma: 2,464
I guess that´s the lack of answer means "NO IN HELL, YOU MUST DO IT ON BLENDER OR ZBRUSH YOUR IDIOT IGNORANT" kind of answer...
akuma kabukoThu, Oct 08, 2020
Karma: 124
the final render should it be just the character or it can be back up with environment e.t.c
ShafamFri, Oct 09, 2020
Karma: 232
@Project EByM

Hey i am pretty sure is in the main rules, the character must be new from scratch, purposely made for this challenge, using a premade model would not be fair and would not show your skills, also that's why they are requiring us to update our entry with wips and images so they can see that we are making the character and the progression of it, they also said no support characters or too much props and to focus on the main subject of the submission, if you scroll up in the comments you will see, but i guess  if the main characters are father and daughter or a something similar like one of the entry it's fine.
Foxy 3DFri, Oct 09, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@bizkit001

1. Per the Official Rules page, under "Deliverables" it states:
"One completely original character model including geometry and textures as well as WIP and final renderings."
So yes, project files are required as part of the entry. 

2. Yes. At RenderHub, the creator of the work always retains rights to their creations. Even for this contest. 
Here's the language from RenderHub's Terms of Use:
"Content that you upload, post or otherwise submit and make available using our Services is your content ("Your Content"). You retain any copyright that you have in Your Content."

3. Absolutely! Although it is not required, we would love it if you offered your creation for sale at RenderHub. You are free to sell it any any other store, as well. RenderHub never has any exclusivity requirements for vendors.  
Foxy 3DFri, Oct 09, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@Kadaj777 - Absolutely, Daz can be used for this contest. 
Just keep in mind that submissions will be judged on creativity, originality and technical ability.
Judging will also take into consideration the difficulty and complexity of the overall execution of work.
Foxy 3DFri, Oct 09, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@Project EByM

1. Per the official rules here: https://www.renderhub.com/3d-contests/3d-character-design-contest
"Entries must be new original work specifically made for this contest and cannot be significantly based on the art of another artist."  

2. You can use Blender, Daz Studio, or whatever 3D modeling programs you want. 
Foxy 3DFri, Oct 09, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@akuma kabuko
Since this is a character design contest, the judging will be based only upon the character. However, you are certainly free to submit your final render in a scene or environment. 
Dawa482Sat, Oct 10, 2020
Karma: 105
Hello admin, i have a question, the jury will rate if a character has retopology?
ravhunter555Sun, Oct 11, 2020
Karma: 1,419
 How to  edit  title and description of the project  ?????
ZenattiPaulMon, Oct 12, 2020
Karma: 186
hi, i have some questions.
The character must deliver in pose with base, collectible style or just standing?
Is it delivered only the render image or also the 3d file with the texture maps?

Thanks
PharaOohMon, Oct 12, 2020
Karma: 137
Hello, admin. ^^

I have a question, should I deliver the final model and attach it on the thread? Or should I sell it in RenderHub instead?
Because I think if I attach it, somebody can take the model then perhaps make some changes and claim it as his/her own.
Foxy 3DMon, Oct 12, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@Dawa482 - Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking. 
Foxy 3DMon, Oct 12, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@ravhunter555 - Hey there. I don't think it's possible to change the title of a forum post - if that's what you mean. Please let me know if I misunderstood.
Foxy 3DMon, Oct 12, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@ZenattiPaul - Your WIPs and final render can be of any style you choose. However, for the final render the judges will be focusing on the character only - so it might help to put emphasis on the character. I'm not a judge, so this is just my opinion...  

And per the Official Rules page, under "Deliverables" it states:
"One completely original character model including geometry and textures as well as WIP and final renderings."
So yes, project files are required as part of the entry. 

Foxy 3DMon, Oct 12, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@PharaOoh - No, please don't attach a link to your model that way - for the very reason you mentioned. 
We would love it if you sold your creation here on RenderHub. But if you choose not to, we will have an alternate (secure) method to upload your model for review. 
Thanks for your interest!    
ravhunter555Mon, Oct 12, 2020
Karma: 1,419
Thanks  for  the  reply  @  Foxy 3D 
LeplathMTue, Oct 13, 2020
Karma: 119
How to deliver the models to the judges?
Foxy 3DTue, Oct 13, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@LeplathM - At the conclusion of the contest, you can upload your character as a product for sale here on RenderHub - or if you choose not to offer it for sale you will be provided with an alternate upload method. 
Foxy 3DThu, Oct 15, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@iamarief - Absolutely, that is perfectly fine.  

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.    
USBFri, Oct 16, 2020
Karma: 21,100
Hi is it only for Zbrush characters? or can i submit a Daz studio character?
Foxy 3DSat, Oct 17, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@USB - You can use any 3D modeling software you want, including Daz Studio. 
Just keep in mind the Judging Criteria: Submissions will be judged on creativity, originality and technical ability. Judging will also take into consideration the difficulty and complexity of the overall execution of work.
Come on in and join the fun!    

DKD88Mon, Oct 19, 2020
Karma: 135
Hello!

The submissions will be judged based on the final renderings, or the 3d model? For example, if I use floating normal details it will show nice in the rendering, but it will be a simple plane in the 3d model. Same with the topology, will it be a judginng criteria? I guess what i'm asking is if it's more important the concept or the execution?
I think i'm a little late with theese type of questions.    
Thnx! 
Foxy 3DMon, Oct 19, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@DKD88 - First of all, thank you for participating in the contest. I like your character and WIPs so far.  

I am not a judge, but from what I understand, judging will be based upon the WIP images provided and the final renders. 

Per the contest rules: "Submissions will be judged on creativity, originality and technical ability. Judging will also take into consideration the difficulty and complexity of the overall execution of work."

So to answer your question, the way I see it: The final render would demonstrate your concept (creativity and originality) - and your WIPs would demonstrate your execution (difficulty, complexity, and technical ability).

I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can be of further help.  
Ajinkya LadTue, Oct 20, 2020
Karma: 108
I am a concept artist and my major workflow is in 3d (Zbrush). Can i render my final work in keyshot or zbrush and composite passes in photoshop ? can i also paintover ?
RenderHubTue, Oct 20, 2020
Admin: 35,853
You can, but try to limit your post production work as we are focusing on the 3d aspects of the work.
FIRAFri, Oct 23, 2020
Admin: 9,615
Hello,
I have three questions:
Can I post videos during the process of creation in which I explain what I am doing in my project?
How many final renders do we need to submit?

Do we need to submit a callout sheet of the character with the final render?
Foxy 3DFri, Oct 23, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@FIRA

1. You sure can. That would be really cool. 
2. Per the rules, only one is required. More would be great.
3. That's not required by the rules, but it couldn't hurt and would be cool to see. 


marigoldWed, Oct 28, 2020
Karma: 2,752
Excuse me, I am new here, so I have just one question, Can I use characters based on Daz studio figures (but my own maked resculpt, cloth)?
Foxy 3DWed, Oct 28, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@marigold - You can use any 3D software you want, including Daz Studio. 

Just keep in mind the Judging Criteria: Submissions will be judged on creativity, originality and technical ability. Judging will also take into consideration the difficulty and complexity of the overall execution of work.

Come and join the fun!
ZenattiPaulThu, Oct 29, 2020
Karma: 186
Hi admin. a question I already made an entry with a character, I am not entirely satisfied it is very generic. Is it possible to present another character for the contest? I still have time.

Foxy 3DThu, Oct 29, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@ZenattiPaul - Sure! No problem at all. 
Just start a new thread, and then in your old thread just indicate you are withdrawing that one. 
And go ahead and post a link there to your new thread if you want. 
ZenattiPaulFri, Oct 30, 2020
Karma: 186
OK thanks admin, I will think again what I will decide to do.
YahellaTue, Nov 17, 2020
Karma: 147
Can I use Character Creator 3 for this contest?

Foxy 3DWed, Nov 18, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@Yahella - You can use any 3D software you want.

Just keep in mind the Judging Criteria: Submissions will be judged on creativity, originality and technical ability. Judging will also take into consideration the difficulty and complexity of the overall execution of work.

Thanks for your interest!
ZenattiPaulFri, Nov 20, 2020
Karma: 186
Fox, the delivery date was changed, is it official?, because I did not get a message

Contest Dates
Submission Start Date: October 1, 2020
Deadline for submissions: January 15, 2021
Winners announced: January 22, 2021
gabriele_zero3dartSat, Nov 21, 2020
Karma: 187
Good morning, I have a question about the contest: after finishing my model and posting the final renders in my thread, can I upload it on my online portfolio (artstation and similar) or I need to wait for the end of the contest?
Thank you very much!
Foxy 3DSat, Nov 21, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@ZenattiPaul - Yes, it is official. I posted a notice in everyone's contest entry thread. I'm sorry that you didn't get a notification of that post. 

@gabriele_zero3dart - You retain full rights to your creation, so yes - you can post it wherever you want. Even during the contest period.  
ZenattiPaulTue, Dec 01, 2020
Karma: 186
thanks fox, I got the news to my post.

I want to ask you a question, I asked it before but I don't think I made myself understood.

fox is it necessary to deliver the character with the processes for animation or could you just paint it and pose it for a final render? . Will the judges evaluate the final render image of our characters or do we have to do the whole process for animation?.

I ask this because I had some problems with my pc and they are two different processes that take different times.

Thanks

Foxy 3DTue, Dec 01, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@ZenattiPaul - For the contest, all that is required for deliverables is:
"One completely original character model including geometry and textures as well as WIP and final renderings."
That's what the judges will be evaluating. 

Sorry if I didn't understand what you meant before. I hope I do now.  🙂
Just let me know if you need further clarification.  


CleveyusSun, Dec 27, 2020
Karma: 805
Hello,


For the final renderings, did we have to Rig the character and set it to a Life moment posture ?

In this case, can we retouch the final render in graphic software like Photoshop ?

Or did we have to give final renderings only with T Pose from front back left right ?


Thank you.
Foxy 3DWed, Dec 30, 2020
Admin: 59,523
@Cleveyus  - Sorry for the delay in my reply. I didn't get the notification of a new post in this thread. 
T Pose renders are perfectly fine, but you can certainly do final renders like this, too:  
https://www.renderhub.com/forum/584/the-spartano

image

CleveyusThu, Dec 31, 2020
Karma: 805
Can you give more details on this :

Deliverables
One completely original character model including geometry and textures as well as WIP and final renderings.


What geometry file is needed ?

When and where to deliver all this ?
Thanks.

PaVlSun, Jan 03, 2021
Karma: 212
Questions:
1. Is there a 1 character limit per artist? Or can artists submit multiple entries? 
2. Is the 3D file required also or just WIP shots and final renders?
3. Is there a file size limit for the WIPs and renders and/or a resolution limit?

I tried to submit twice but they didn't appear in the forum. Is there an approval queue? 
I tried leaving a message to Renderhub but got no answer. 

Could someone bring some light? 

Thank you.
Foxy 3DTue, Jan 05, 2021
Admin: 59,523
@Cleveyus - Sorry for the delay in my reply. I was waiting to hear details back from the owner on this. 

An FBX file with required textures would work just fine. Rigged or not. 

The completed project files will only be required of the finalists. So if you are picked, you would just upload them to Dropbox, Google Drive, Mega, or whatever is convenient for you. We will contact you individually and give you a private way to communicate that download link so it isn't a public link.  


Foxy 3DTue, Jan 05, 2021
Admin: 59,523
@PaVl - 

1. You are allowed to have multiple entries. Just start a separate thread in the contest forum. However, you can only win once. 

2. WIPs and final renders are all that are required to enter the contest.  The completed project files will only be required of the finalists. So if you are picked, you would just upload them to Dropbox, Google Drive, Mega, or whatever is convenient for you. We will contact you individually and give you a private way to communicate that download link so it isn't a public link.  

3. I asked the owner about this, and he says there is not a limit for any "reasonably sized" images. I've seen plenty of 4K images posted around here. 
There also is no approval queue for forum or gallery posts. They should go live right away. 

Can you start a forum thread here: https://www.renderhub.com/forum/site-help-and-feedback
In that thread, please post some image samples of various file sizes and resolutions. 
Make the title "Image test for Admin" or something like that, and we will take a look at what's going on. 

Sorry you're having trouble.  
Ben5050Sat, Jan 09, 2021
Karma: 190
Hello, this is actually the first time I'm participating in a character design contest or any 3d online contest so, I would like to know how I can compile my character together like they do in the Daz3d store , a video tutorial would help too. Thanks and I wish everyone here to have a good time.
Foxy 3DMon, Jan 11, 2021
Admin: 59,523
@Ben5050 - Well ask, and you shall receive!  

The owner of RenderHub has created a really nice video tutorial that may be just what you're looking for.  
Check it out. I hope it helps.    

https://www.renderhub.com/blog/how-to-create-a-custom-genesis-8-character-in-daz-studio  


Foxy 3DWed, Jan 13, 2021
Admin: 59,523
Character Design Contest Wrap-Up 

Important info HERE IN THIS THREAD.  
ravhunter555Thu, Jan 28, 2021
Karma: 1,419
Hi , please send me the link where I can send my files.
Foxy 3DThu, Jan 28, 2021
Admin: 59,523
@ravhunter555 - The winners should expect a private message from the owner of RenderHub soon requesting the download link and mailing address so he can ship out the prizes.  
ravhunter555Sun, Jan 31, 2021
Karma: 1,419
Thank you Foxy 3D  I received  message  from RenderHub ,  and also I submitted files .
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account