Password

reset my password
closeJoin RenderHub
Existing Members Login Here.
Email Address (we never share this)
User Name
Password
Retype Password
I acknowledge that I have read and agree with the RenderHub Terms of Use.
closeLogin Help
Enter the email address you used to sign up and we will send you a link to reset your password.
Email Address
You should recieve the email within a few minutes, be sure to check your spam box for the email.
RenderHub
3D Modelsmenu
meshModel Categories
People
Anatomy
Animals
Insects
Plants
Food
Clothing
Buildings
Furniture
Appliances
Cars
Motorcycles
Aircraft
Boats & Ships
Military
Weapons
Robots
Sci-fi
Technology
Movies & TV
dazDaz Content
Characters
Clothing
Footwear
Hair
Poses
Morphs
Props
Accessories
Shaders & Skin
Mature Content
How To Sell 3D ModelsGalleryForumLearningWallpapersMy Feed
HOME|FORUMS|CHARACTER DESIGN CONTEST

Character Design Contest : Questions & Answers (CLOSED)

Thu, Oct 01, 2020
RenderHub
Administrator
THIS JOB HAS BEEN COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY AND IS NOW CLOSED
Character Design Contest : Questions & Answers

If you have any questions about the contest, this is the place to ask them.

Thu, Oct 01, 2020
Shafam
artist

I have a question about the challenge that just started today, for the final submission will the charachter need a story or lore? and if not why not add it to the rules it would be nice to see and read the origin of every character the artist will come up with.

Thanks,
Shafam

Thu, Oct 01, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

Hi @Shafam. 

I'm pretty sure that a story or lore would not be *required* as part of the entry. 

However, since judging goes by creativity, originality and technical ability - that certainly may get bonus points for creativity.  :-)  

Thu, Oct 01, 2020
RenderHub
Administrator
YEs, back story can only increase the chance of winning, but it is not required.

Fri, Oct 02, 2020
Shafam
artist

Great, i cant wait to start with some concept  😃

Fri, Oct 02, 2020
RenderHub
Administrator

Excited to see what you come up with

Mon, Oct 05, 2020
ravhunter555
artist

Thanks Renderhub for this wonderfull contest ,  very much excited to be part of this contest .

Have some queries  

1)   Is this contest open for all the regions of the world?  (Ex .  INDIA)

2)  I just wanted to make sure  that the  Characters  for the contest  can be  of  any race , any  style ,  hero, villain , fantasy, realistic , cartoony ??

3)  Polycount & Texture resolution for the character ???

4)  Can  I include  secondary (supporting ) character in the scene ????

5)  Which renderer should be used to render final image &  also  Render  resolution ?????

Mon, Oct 05, 2020
RenderHub
Administrator

1)   Is this contest open for all the regions of the world?  (Ex .  INDIA)

- Yes it is.

2)  I just wanted to make sure  that the  Characters  for the contest  can be  of  any race , any  style ,  hero, villain , fantasy, realistic , cartoony?

- This is correct, the character can be anything you can dream up. More realistic characters ma exhibit a harder level of skill to create which sill factor into the judging

3)  Polycount & Texture resolution for the character ?

- Again, up to you. But better quality will be more likely to win.

4)  Can  I include  secondary (supporting ) character in the scene ?

- Please limit the scene render to only the actual character entry.

5)  Which renderer should be used to render final image &  also  Render  resolution?

- Final renders should be as high quality as possible, lower quality renders are unlikely to win. I would recommend 1920 x 1080 as a minimum resolution, but you can go bigger if you like (within reason) 

Mon, Oct 05, 2020
ravhunter555
artist

Thanks for the quick reply

Wed, Oct 07, 2020
bizkit001
artist

1. Do i just submit a render, ir is the project files required to be uploaded as well. 

2. Do the artist retain the rights to the submitted character

3. Can the artist sell the character on online markets after the competition is over. 

4. Will think of more questions as i go along... 

Wed, Oct 07, 2020
Kadaj777
United States

Can you use any of the Daz Figures for creation or do you have to model it yourself?

Thanks!

Wed, Oct 07, 2020
Project EByM
Venezuela

Hi, good day,

My question are:

¿Can be the character from my own gallery, or must be completly new?

-¿Must the character be made on Blender or related software, or we can use Daz Models?

¡Thanks!

Wed, Oct 07, 2020
Project EByM
Venezuela

I guess that´s the lack of answer means "NO IN HELL, YOU MUST DO IT ON BLENDER OR ZBRUSH YOUR IDIOT IGNORANT" kind of answer...

Thu, Oct 08, 2020
akuma kabuko
artist

the final render should it be just the character or it can be back up with environment e.t.c

Fri, Oct 09, 2020
Shafam
artist

@Project EByM

Hey i am pretty sure is in the main rules, the character must be new from scratch, purposely made for this challenge, using a premade model would not be fair and would not show your skills, also that's why they are requiring us to update our entry with wips and images so they can see that we are making the character and the progression of it, they also said no support characters or too much props and to focus on the main subject of the submission, if you scroll up in the comments you will see, but i guess  if the main characters are father and daughter or a something similar like one of the entry it's fine.

Fri, Oct 09, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@bizkit001

1. Per the Official Rules page, under "Deliverables" it states:

"One completely original character model including geometry and textures as well as WIP and final renderings."

So yes, project files are required as part of the entry. 

2. Yes. At RenderHub, the creator of the work always retains rights to their creations. Even for this contest. 

Here's the language from RenderHub's Terms of Use:

"Content that you upload, post or otherwise submit and make available using our Services is your content ("Your Content"). You retain any copyright that you have in Your Content."

3. Absolutely! Although it is not required, we would love it if you offered your creation for sale at RenderHub. You are free to sell it any any other store, as well. RenderHub never has any exclusivity requirements for vendors.  

Fri, Oct 09, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@Kadaj777 - Absolutely, Daz can be used for this contest. 

Just keep in mind that submissions will be judged on creativity, originality and technical ability.

Judging will also take into consideration the difficulty and complexity of the overall execution of work.

Fri, Oct 09, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@Project EByM

1. Per the official rules here: https://www.renderhub.com/3d-contests/3d-character-design-contest

"Entries must be new original work specifically made for this contest and cannot be significantly based on the art of another artist."  

2. You can use Blender, Daz Studio, or whatever 3D modeling programs you want. 

Fri, Oct 09, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@akuma kabuko

Since this is a character design contest, the judging will be based only upon the character. However, you are certainly free to submit your final render in a scene or environment. 

Sat, Oct 10, 2020
Dawa482
artist
Hello admin, i have a question, the jury will rate if a character has retopology?

Sun, Oct 11, 2020
ravhunter555
artist

How to  edit  title and description of the project  ?????

Mon, Oct 12, 2020
ZenattiPaul
artist

hi, i have some questions.

The character must deliver in pose with base, collectible style or just standing?

Is it delivered only the render image or also the 3d file with the texture maps?

Thanks

Mon, Oct 12, 2020
PharaOoh
artist

Hello, admin. ^^

I have a question, should I deliver the final model and attach it on the thread? Or should I sell it in RenderHub instead?

Because I think if I attach it, somebody can take the model then perhaps make some changes and claim it as his/her own.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@Dawa482 - Sorry, but I'm not sure what you're asking. 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@ravhunter555 - Hey there. I don't think it's possible to change the title of a forum post - if that's what you mean. Please let me know if I misunderstood.

Mon, Oct 12, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@ZenattiPaul - Your WIPs and final render can be of any style you choose. However, for the final render the judges will be focusing on the character only - so it might help to put emphasis on the character. I'm not a judge, so this is just my opinion...  

And per the Official Rules page, under "Deliverables" it states:

"One completely original character model including geometry and textures as well as WIP and final renderings."

So yes, project files are required as part of the entry. 

Mon, Oct 12, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@PharaOoh - No, please don't attach a link to your model that way - for the very reason you mentioned. 

We would love it if you sold your creation here on RenderHub. But if you choose not to, we will have an alternate (secure) method to upload your model for review. 

Thanks for your interest!  :-)  

Mon, Oct 12, 2020
ravhunter555
artist

Thanks  for  the  reply  @  Foxy 3D 

Tue, Oct 13, 2020
LeplathM
artist

How to deliver the models to the judges?

Tue, Oct 13, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@LeplathM - At the conclusion of the contest, you can upload your character as a product for sale here on RenderHub - or if you choose not to offer it for sale you will be provided with an alternate upload method. 

Wed, Oct 14, 2020
iamarief
Indonesia

Hello Foxy 3D,

i've read Q&A in this forum .

on the point we can follow this contest with create a base model from daz figure right? (example Genesis 8 Female)

i'm plan to create character from daz figure and edit morph, add detailing, create costume, etc. in Zbrush.

Then create material on Substance Painter,

then back to Daz3D to render using iRay

it's ok?

thanks

Thu, Oct 15, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@iamarief - Absolutely, that is perfectly fine.  

Thanks for your interest, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  :-)  

Fri, Oct 16, 2020
USB
Netherlands

Hi is it only for Zbrush characters? or can i submit a Daz studio character?

Sat, Oct 17, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@USB - You can use any 3D modeling software you want, including Daz Studio. 

Just keep in mind the Judging Criteria: Submissions will be judged on creativity, originality and technical ability. Judging will also take into consideration the difficulty and complexity of the overall execution of work.

Come on in and join the fun!  :-)  

Mon, Oct 19, 2020
DKD88
artist

Hello!

The submissions will be judged based on the final renderings, or the 3d model? For example, if I use floating normal details it will show nice in the rendering, but it will be a simple plane in the 3d model. Same with the topology, will it be a judginng criteria? I guess what i'm asking is if it's more important the concept or the execution?

I think i'm a little late with theese type of questions. :D   

Thnx! 

Mon, Oct 19, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@DKD88 - First of all, thank you for participating in the contest. I like your character and WIPs so far.  

I am not a judge, but from what I understand, judging will be based upon the WIP images provided and the final renders. 

Per the contest rules: "Submissions will be judged on creativity, originality and technical ability. Judging will also take into consideration the difficulty and complexity of the overall execution of work."

So to answer your question, the way I see it: The final render would demonstrate your concept (creativity and originality) - and your WIPs would demonstrate your execution (difficulty, complexity, and technical ability).

I hope that answers your question. Let me know if I can be of further help.  

Tue, Oct 20, 2020
Ajinkya Lad
artist

I am a concept artist and my major workflow is in 3d (Zbrush). Can i render my final work in keyshot or zbrush and composite passes in photoshop ? can i also paintover ?

Tue, Oct 20, 2020
RenderHub
Administrator

You can, but try to limit your post production work as we are focusing on the 3d aspects of the work.

Fri, Oct 23, 2020
FIRA
Serbia

Hello,

I have three questions:

Can I post videos during the process of creation in which I explain what I am doing in my project?

How many final renders do we need to submit?

Do we need to submit a callout sheet of the character with the final render?

Fri, Oct 23, 2020
Foxy 3D
Administrator

@FIRA

1. You sure can. That would be really cool. 

2. Per the rules, only one is required. More would be great.

3. That's not required by the rules, but it couldn't hurt and would be cool to see. 

YouTubevimeoArtStationDeviantArtredditInstagramfacebooktwitterPinteresttumblrCGSocietyBehanceLinkedindribbble