×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/THE ART OF LIGHT RENDER CONTEST

Reflections (CLOSED)

eye168
chaoskhan_666Thu, Apr 11, 2024
Karma: 1,859
Pun intended... the reflections of light on the various surfaces and the mental state of mind of the character. As per the theme of the contest, light sources are the main considerations to bring out the melancholic mood of this piece. For indoor, there is the emissive primitive from the laptop screen, ghost light from the lava lamp and  spotlight for the eye sparkle. For outdoor, other than the night city HDRI, there are 3 spotlights in various positions to bring out the city street lighting, the raining backdrop and the reflections of rain on the window panes. Most time is wasted on creating the dazed, "lost in thought" look of the character, which I don't think I nailed it well. Please feel free to critic.

Forum Image

Forum Image

Thumbnail
Forum Image

drjivagoFri, Apr 12, 2024
Karma: 12,987
Your Reflections (Lost in thoughts) render, uses different sources of light plus the reflections in the surrounding objects (reflecting her expression with other tones of light). Contrary to your belief, you might have nailed it as means of a well established render. I don't know what other things could've made a this a better picture since it looks great already, except the window could be made a little transparent so the raindrops could be articulated as being more visible and to see what's going on the outside (cars, people or rain perhaps). This might've given your picture more detail and a feeling of depth (since you want to imply reflection on the windows, too transparent windows may not be so reflective on the other hand, better try and see I guess). 
My best wishes for your great render :  D Good luck and have a nice day.
chaoskhan_666
Karma: 1,859
Sun, Apr 14, 2024
Thanks mate for your kind comments! Much appreciated. Actually the details on the windows are blurred because I applied the depth of field on the camera. I did lost the details but it is more towards the photorealism feel that I was going for. Love your crtiques, please keep them coming. Love to learn from other artists.

drjivago
Karma: 12,987
Sun, Apr 14, 2024
Yes, in addition to the depth of field, the raindrops flowing down the window also have an effect on the opacity of the glass. So I see your point. Thank you for your response and have a great day.
jamie6Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Admin: 14,430
Forum Image
Thumbnail for contest gallery
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account