×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/THE ART OF LIGHT RENDER CONTEST

Cat in the Moonlight (CLOSED)

eye282
Fae3DTue, Apr 16, 2024
Karma: 483
This one was really hard for something that turned out looking so simple. There is NO post work done here, except to add my signature. The moon reflections in the cat's eyes were very difficult to arrange (involving placing a moon in exactly the right place), and the soft "moonlight" is actually a bunch of different lights working together. The cat's fur and whiskers have been HEAVILY customized to show the light better. All in all, I'm proud of this. It took me about a week to make, but I feel like I learned a lot about lighting with it

Rendered in Daz Studio Iray.

Entry:
Forum Image

Wireframe:
Forum Image

Thanks for looking!!!

drjivagoWed, Apr 17, 2024
Karma: 12,987
Good concept with the reflecting, in the shape of a crescent moon, on the pupil of the eye. It looks like you've achieved the desired effect with this work. Although black cats are thought to bring bad luck, pardon me to say it may bring you good luck , this time for a change. Best wishes with your entry (starry magical background also adds up to the mystique) .
   Info: 
''For centuries, many have believed that when a moon is worn it will bring you magical dreams. Specifically, a crescent moon was known to symbolize intuitiveness, psyche and empowerment. Crescent moons are often worn to bring luck and wealth. In some cultures, they're believed to be a protection against negativity; in Japan, for example, dangling them from the rearview mirrors of cars is thought to keep away evil spirits from your space''.

Fae3D
Karma: 483
Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Thank you very much! Yes, it took a while, but I was finally able to get the render to look like the picture in my head, lol! That's cool information about the moon, I didn't know about all that.
drjivago
Karma: 12,987
Fri, Apr 19, 2024
You're welcome. Good hopes with your exquisite work once again.
Render scribeThu, Apr 18, 2024
Karma: 528
Animals are really difficult to get right, but your cat looks awesome. 

Did you make it from scratch? 

Fae3D
Karma: 483
Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Thank you! No, I didn't make it, unfortunately I'm not any good at modeling. They are purchased products arranged in Daz Studio. There is a lot of customization here though. I completely reworked the shaders on the fur and whiskers, it took me days to get it just right. I also did the lighting myself, which is the hardest part for me. I used primitives for the moon, and worked heavily on that shader as well. So while I didn't create the models, I did do a lot of work to make this finished render!
jamie6Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Admin: 14,430
Forum Image
Thumbnail for contest gallery
Fae3D
Karma: 483
Fri, Apr 19, 2024
Thank you!!!
jamie6
Admin: 14,430
Mon, Apr 22, 2024
Absolutely!
archglinWed, Apr 24, 2024
Karma: 376
Wow. Such ressemblance.

Fae3D
Karma: 483
Thu, Apr 25, 2024
Thanks! I didn't create the cat, but I did a lot of editing work to the shaders, and of course set the scene, pose, camera and lighting.
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account