Password

reset my password
closeJoin RenderHub
Existing Members Login Here.
Email Address (we never share this)
User Name
Password
Retype Password
I acknowledge that I have read and agree with the RenderHub Terms of Use.
closeLogin Help
Enter the email address you used to sign up and we will send you a link to reset your password.
Email Address
You should recieve the email within a few minutes, be sure to check your spam box for the email.

RenderHub
3D Modelsmenu
meshModel Categories
People
Anatomy
Animals
Insects
Plants
Food
Clothing
Buildings
Interior Design
Furniture
Appliances
Cars
Motorcycles
Aircraft
Boats & Ships
Military
Weapons
Robots
Sci-fi
Technology
Movies & TV
RPG Models
dazDaz Content
Daz On Sale!
Characters
Clothing
Footwear
Hair
Poses
Morphs
Props
Accessories
Shaders & Skin
Mature Content
3D On Sale!How To Sell 3D ModelsGalleryForumLearningWallpapersMy Feed
HOME|FORUMS|SELLING AND BUYING 3D MODELS

Quick Question regarding the selling of models on this and many other sites. (CLOSED)

Wed, Dec 16, 2020
Phantori
artist
THIS JOB HAS BEEN COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY AND IS NOW CLOSED
Quick Question regarding the selling of models on this and many other sites.

hey guys and gals and alien people.

So I have been thinking about selling models on sites like this, CGTrader, etc..., etc...   I work mainly in Houdini and Maya.  But that's irrelevent to the question.  

On almost every site that I have looked at everyone is selling copyrighted, proprietary models.  There is absolutely no way every artist on these sites have gotten "permission" from the people that own those rights..  I know they say.  Not for commercial, blah, blah.  But they are selling them.  Anyways, I just don't see how it's legal.  And it seems pointless trying to put in the effort if everyone is just using movie and game trademarks and such.

Anyways, I am just curious and would appreciate it if anyone could explain to me the legality behind it.  Because as they say "Everyone is doing it!"

Thanks,

Jeremy Dickinson

BioSpark Studios

Radiian Interactive

Sun, Dec 20, 2020
Tikiman-3d
United States

Yeah, just because everyone is doing it doesn't make it legal.

The law is... If you make a copy, model, photo, whatever, of copyrighted material without the permission of the copyright holder you are in violation. Period. 

The thing is... these artists who sell the copyrighted material, are assuming that the owners, ie: Marvel, Disney, Paramount, etc.
won't waste the time or money to come after them. As long as they fly under the radar, the big guys won't say anything.

If someone started making millions of dollars on X-Wing models, then I think you'd see some lawyers' ears perk up.

My 2 cents.

YouTubevimeoArtStationDeviantArtredditInstagramfacebooktwitterPinteresttumblrCGSocietyBehanceLinkedindribbble