×
Zoom
 
close x
Horrific Render Contest 5 – $3,800 In Prizes – Ends October 31st»  click for contest rules and prizes  «
HOME/FORUMS/THE ART OF LIGHT RENDER CONTEST

Phoebe (CLOSED)

eye206
isivfxWed, May 29, 2024
Karma: 118
Hi there!
It is with great excitement that I'm entering the "The Art of Light Render Contest" with my Demo Reel project "Phoebe". It's been quite a ride and I'm eager to share the result of my efforts and creativity with you.



Phoebe is a character based on the concept "Lunar" by Lena. I had found the image on Pinterest months before starting the demo and knew right away that I wanted to implement the concept in my reel. Lena is an incredible artist whose colorful style and playful concepts feel like an invitation to daydream and get lost in her world. I felt inspired and decided to realise Lunar in 3D, using the concept as the main reference but giving the character my own tone as well. I wanted to keep some creative freedom and space for new ideas in order to have the project look authentic to my style. That's why I chose a different name for her. Since Lunar is close to Luna, the name of the roman goddess of the moon, I decided to call the character Phoebe, named after the greek goddess of the moon.

Forum Image

I initially wanted to create both the character and the cat but realized soon enough, that I wasn't gonna be able to pull off both assets in the limited time I had due to the deadline the school set for us to hand in our Demo Reels. So instead of holding the cat Phoebe now holds a bunch of flowers my dear friend and incredible artist Talia Bazzi modeled and textured for me.

The modeling and texturing parts of the project were a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed creating the skin textures. Getting the groom to work the way I wanted was quite the challenge, since I didn't have that much experience in the department. I'm really happy how she turned out though and I'm excited to keep practicing  and learning how to sculpt heads, paint skin textures and groom specific hairstyles.



beauty, clay and wireframe turntable


This project really came alive during the compositing process. I had a lot of fun creating a working atmosphere for the character and playing with lens flares, particles and godrays.



LookDev breakdown


Thanks for checking out my entry! I appreciate you're time and any feedback you've got.

drjivagoWed, May 29, 2024
Karma: 12,987
With a different color and hair style, I would say the model used by you, represents your features, but I'm most likely wrong, as you said this is your version of another figure. Nice scene breakdown in the 3d VR turntable vision, like a pro presentation. You seem to enjoy taking challenges in the hard work process instead of being frustrated. She, (Phoebe-Luna) reminds me of a gypsy fortune teller in a way, too.
I'm glad to see some unique presentations like these, as people like you, raise the challenge bar, at the same time, I myself, learn new things along the way, as good demonstrations of showcase. You might even make a full feature visual novel in the future, as your entry has that feeling.
My best wishes with your entry and hope you get a well respected recognition for your hard work.

''Selene is the Greek goddess of the moon, and the Romans refer to her as Luna. Selene is described as an extremely beautiful woman with long hair. She is often said to wear a crown with a crescent moon on it. Some even say that she had small horns and golden wings''.

- Every night, she travels across the sky in his horse-drawn carriage, taking the moon behind her. Selene is the daughter of the titans Hyperion and Theia. She is most often associated with the greek goddesses Artemis and Hecate -.

youtube com/watch?v=kpe1ulASeig
Forum ImageForum ImageForum ImageForum Image

isivfx
Karma: 118
Thu, May 30, 2024
Hi Drijvago
Thank you so much for your kind words and contribution. I really like the interpretation of Phoebe being a gypsy fortune teller!
drjivagoWed, May 29, 2024
Karma: 12,987
Sorry for the middle picture getting big, tried to scale it down, but made it bigger instead, couldn't see as preview, apologies.
isivfx
Karma: 118
Thu, May 30, 2024
No worries
jamie6Thu, May 30, 2024
Admin: 14,430
Forum Image
Thumbnail for contest gallery
Close WindowRenderHub Login

Show Password

Reset password
Create Account